Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12 Audiobook Creation

I rip audiobook CDs, and created, via "options," unified complications of audiobooks. I am now shut out from doing this, and told the media is mixed. How to I regain the ability to create audiobooks in iTunes 12?

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 9:36 PM

Not sure if this will help you...but this workaround seems to work for me:

1. Put the CD in, but don't select auto-upload. Instead, let the list of the tracks load. Sort by tracks (to make sure they're in order) and then highlight all the tracks.

2. In the upper right corner, there's a dropdown list. With the tracks highlighted, select Join CD Tracks. The tracks will be bracketed together now.

3. Then select import.

4. When the dialog box comes up, change from iTunes Plus (which was the default for me) to Spoken Podcast. Also, I have the Import Using option set to AAC Encoder.

5. After the tracks are imported, it looks like you still can't change the setting from Music. But, go to the little Music icon in the top left corner. Then Playlist. Then recently added over in the sidebar. Sort to have your last addition at the top of the list. Whew. Almost there.

6. Right-click on your audiobook and go to Get Info, then to Options. From there, you should be able to (FINALLY) change to Audiobooks under media kind. Also, it's good to select the other checkboxes to remember playback position and skip when shuffling.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2014 9:36 PM in response to Blind Guy

Not sure if this will help you...but this workaround seems to work for me:

1. Put the CD in, but don't select auto-upload. Instead, let the list of the tracks load. Sort by tracks (to make sure they're in order) and then highlight all the tracks.

2. In the upper right corner, there's a dropdown list. With the tracks highlighted, select Join CD Tracks. The tracks will be bracketed together now.

3. Then select import.

4. When the dialog box comes up, change from iTunes Plus (which was the default for me) to Spoken Podcast. Also, I have the Import Using option set to AAC Encoder.

5. After the tracks are imported, it looks like you still can't change the setting from Music. But, go to the little Music icon in the top left corner. Then Playlist. Then recently added over in the sidebar. Sort to have your last addition at the top of the list. Whew. Almost there.

6. Right-click on your audiobook and go to Get Info, then to Options. From there, you should be able to (FINALLY) change to Audiobooks under media kind. Also, it's good to select the other checkboxes to remember playback position and skip when shuffling.

Oct 22, 2014 10:35 AM in response to Blind Guy

A couple of other tweaks that have helped me and may work for you as well:

• If you've already imported an audiobook and it's stuck with its media kind locked as Music, I have been able to extract audio versions of these by right-clicking on each and then selecting "Create AAC Version." While this doesn't convert the file, but rather creates a separate version, the new file allows you to set it with audio kind set to Audiobook. After converting, you can change the new file to audiobook and it will have appropriate meta data options that work better. (To save file space and confusion, after confirming all is well with the new file...I delete the troublesome, locked down "Music" version.)
  • Also, once you have your separate CD's imported or recreated as AAC, if you take the time to update the Title and Author to consistent labels and check the box for "part of a compilation," you can then assign the Chapter labels differently for each CD--and all the CD's under the same title/author will automatically merge into a single audiobook. Yay.

These are tricks that I'm using to maintain integrity and playability of my imported audiobooks. There may be better ways to do these things. In fact, I hope so. 😝

Mar 23, 2015 1:07 PM in response to tina_bea

Hi,

If you make sure the title, author, and other optional details are the same for each CD (except the track numbers and actual tracks), you can just fill in the disc numbers. So, something like Disc 1 of 3. This will combine multiple discs into one audiobook. If anything is a little different, the discs will remain separate (example: P.G. Wodehouse vs P. G. Wodehouse...just the extra space will keep the discs from combining.)

Note: Be sure not to accidentally over-write the tracks with your disc numbers...as I have sometimes managed to do. 😊

Hope this helps.

Debra

Feb 16, 2016 11:48 AM in response to DLMartin

Hi DLMartin! Thank you for this helpful response. I am able to import my audiobooks into "joined tracks" CDs, but I'm still having trouble getting them to "automatically merge" into one audiobook—can you give more info on how this is done? Is there anyway to force iTunes to "auto merge" tracks into 1 book? I am right clicking the full-CD-tracks (let's say I have 5 tracks for the 5 CDs in my book), "get info"—making sure title, author, composer, genre(audiobook) are all the same, clicking the check box for "album is a compilation of songs..." but they are still not auto merging into 1 book. Very frustrating—because when opened up in iBooks app on iPhone, they're not organized. Do they HAVE to be AAC in order to auto merge? Maybe that's what I'm missing? In which case, I have dozens of audio books already imported as MP3 tracks (again, combined by CD), so is there anyway to merge those? Any advice is appreciated!

iTunes 12 Audiobook Creation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.