Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine backups are not accessible after the clean install of Yosemite

Guys, I did clean install with HD formatting (as I usually do) and installed the final Yosemite version. I have AirCapsule Time Machine , but after the clean installation - the time machine is not accessible. I can see the folder Data, inside the .sparsebundle file, but while clicking on it it shows: "Sparse bundle - resource temporarily unavailable". If open Time Machine itself - it shows me the time dates of the stored backups but cannot access them. I read a lot of forums how to fix it, but no results.. I did and Backup verification and repair (from the disk utility), all seems OK, but cannot access them.... Strange... Any help and ideas are highly appreciated User uploaded file thanks (opened the same thread in Yosemite forum, but think here is the right place)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 2:19 AM

29 replies

Oct 18, 2014 6:16 AM in response to AlexSD81

I found some kind of solution -- Just right click on the Timemachine sparsebundl file and chose to view the package contain. You should wait long time before the context is listed, but wait. After that it will list a folder bands -- just click on it and wait again ling time while it list all content. At the end, you will see a new disk connected to you mac - with the files form the backup time machine as an attached removable devices. You can brows it inside and copy all files from all backups you need. Again - you should wait long time before all files inside are listed, but it works 🙂

Oct 18, 2014 6:32 AM in response to kmilarov

I will try that. This has to be a Yosemite problem because I have a Mac running Mavericks and I am able to enter Time Machine and work like normal. Problem is backups are Mac specific and the files I need are for the current Mac I am using. Do anyone know if this bad bug, or do I need to wait for an update to use time machine again. The messed up thing is that I backed up to time machine before upgrading to Yosemite of course this happens.

Oct 20, 2014 8:57 AM in response to mralisson

The "Waiting".....it might also say "Preparing".....is caused by Time Machine in Yosemite having to index all of the old backups and decide how to handle things.

This is going to take time......maybe 6-12 hours or more with an Ethernet connection from your Mac to the Time Capsule.

If the Mac is connected using wireless, the process might take a day or two...maybe more....depending on the speed of the wireless connection and how much data is in the old backups.

Leave things alone for a day or two and then try to run a new backup. In the meantime, Time Machine may run a backup once the indexing is complete and things will look normal again.

Oct 20, 2014 9:02 AM in response to Bob Timmons

My MBP is connected to TM via wireless, as my MacMini. Both computers got Yosemite last Friday (17). The update has about 72 hours, and backups is already on Waiting state. Newer backups were created.

Oldest backup available (working, selectable on TM interface) is Oct, 17 00:00. Older ones were inaccessible. Last 24hs backups are accessible, also ...

Weird ...

Oct 21, 2014 2:40 PM in response to kmilarov

I had similar issue. Went to access backup after Yosemite upgrade and only certain folders available. I instructed it to perform a new backup and it seemed to then initiate a cleanup. When I next went into time machine the folders were all suddenly accessible. Cannot explain it other than time machine needs to realise it has to sort something out and the instruction to do a backup seems to fix the problem.

Nov 8, 2014 8:34 PM in response to kmilarov

I had a MacBook Pro dead harddrive. I replaced it with a new SSD. Clean install all the way up to Yosemite. I expected to open time machine and restore files but it doesn't recognize the Mavericks backups!!!

I can see they are on the hard drive, I can even access some of the files. But time machine does not see them. And most of them have locked permissions and I cannot copy them.

HELP!!!

TimeMachine backups are not accessible after the clean install of Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.