Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mail not showing jpg attachments after yosemite install

I use Mac Mail and have recently upgraded to Yosemite.

Since upgrading I can no longer view jpg images sent by email from my security camera system. They used to be shown within the message, but since the upgrade to Yosemite they're not shown in the message anymore (well, they are shown in about 1% of messages), even the attachment won't open after saving to desktop.

When I try opening the attachment after I have saved it, it says it may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn't recognize.

I can view these images when using outlook on my mac, but preferred the Mail app, as it was easier to view the images in Mail.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 3:59 AM

33 replies

Oct 22, 2014 6:24 PM in response to philjames666

I have the exact same issue.

Since upgrading I can no longer view jpg images sent by email from my security camera system. They used to be shown within the message, but since the upgrade to Yosemite they're not shown in the message anymore.

When I try opening the attachment after I have saved it, it says it may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn't recognize.

I wonder if it has something to do with the file name

Here is an example - 02_20141022141258.jpg

I have no issues viewing the images on my iPhone or iPad

Mac Pro (early 2009) OS X Yosemite

Nov 4, 2014 1:22 AM in response to philjames666

Hi,

Have the same problem, using icloud email, jpg attachments are showing question mark like above, the filenames begin with an underscore, they are being sent from another off iCloud system (CCTV detection images).

Images are dowloaded to mail (shows the 51kb), but is classed as corrupted, cannot save. Am thinking the underscore in the name (my files begin with underscore).

filename example:

_mnt_tmp_02_20141104073452.jpg

When you click on the question mark icon in the email you get the message:

The file “_mnt_tmp_02_20141104073452.jpg” could not be opened.

I have tried quite a few tweaks, no luck, was working correctly before 10.10. So definitely a change in Yosemite.

Is anyone closer to a solution?

Joe

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Nov 9, 2014 4:13 PM in response to fahys71

I have a 'similar' issue - only for me sending it's Mac Mail PNG attachments files to PC's. The PC cannot see the PNG. This happens for screen grabs and saved PNGs. The PC viewer sees a white box with a black outline and the question mark.

For screen grabs - a workaround is to rename the file, add the suffix and removing all the extra full stops ".":

Example: "Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 10.03.49 am"

rename to: "screengrab.png"

This 'solution' seems to work for me at the moment.

Also, other PNG's, such as those saved from Photoshop won't send either - with the same error on the PC side. Although interestingly, when I try to re-open them, I get an error "cannot parse the file". This happens quite often. It's as though it's corrupt. Only once I open the original file and use the "save for web" in PNG, does it email though and re-open correctly.

There does seem to be some issues with 10.10 and PNG's - at least from my early experience with it. I never had any issues like this previously on 10.9.

Dec 7, 2014 1:30 PM in response to GlebeCS

I really need a fix to this too. I've tried several things to see if the filename was the issue ... by saving it to the MacBook and changing the complex filename to simply 'test.jpg' and 'test.jpeg' - neither worked.

This is a really frustrating issue ... because it worked flawlessly on my MacBook before upgrading to Yosemite.

Fortunately, they still preview on my iPhone, iPad et cetera ... but, would really love a fix ASAP !

Anyone able to help / resolve ?

Thanks,

Dec 17, 2014 3:25 PM in response to philjames666

I think I found a workaround for this issue...instead of right click paste using your mouse, for some odd reason if you use command v to paste instead, it works.

This is obviously a bug.

I was able to recreate this several times, in fact send yourself a test email but on the first image use right click paste with a mouse, then paste it again using command v and one image will turn into a ? and the other image will work. You can check your sent items to see this.

Dennis

mac mail not showing jpg attachments after yosemite install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.