Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac air keyboard doesn't light up for login

After Yosemite install, the keyboard on my Mac Air does not light up until after I login.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 9:30 AM

6 replies

Oct 21, 2014 11:51 AM in response to mario49

Hi Mario49. Thanks for your help.

I read the SMC reset article, went through troubleshooting steps appropriate the MacBook Air, tested and got no result.

Then I went on to the SMC reset and did it twice, re-testing each time, and again got no result.

The keyboard not lighting until after login appears to be the only only problem following the Yosemite install. Everything else seems fine.

If you've any other thoughts I'd be happy to hear them.

Pushkin

Oct 21, 2014 12:36 PM in response to Pushkin

Pushkin,

I found that if I turn on FileVault my keyboard backlight doesn't come on at initial Login screen from boot. Nor can I adjust the brightness of my screen or keyboard backlit. The moment I turn off FileVault I can then adjust those things and everything works fine.

I say initial because if I log out of my user and am taken to the login screen I can adjust both keyboard and screen backlights.

You can see if you have FileVault turned on by going to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> FileVault (Tab)

Also I think that its important that we let Apple know this is going on. If you feel up to it I would send them feedback. I mean if you would like to that is. https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Hope that helps,

Weston

Suporting threads

Lost keyboard lights on login screen

mac air keyboard doesn't light up for login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.