Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove itunes 12

How do I downgrade/revert to iTunes 11 from 12. I am, fortunately, running OS 10.8.5 (Mavericks and Yosemite just suck)

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 1:03 PM

Use AppZapper or AppDelete to remove. Then download and install iTunes 11.

18 replies

Oct 19, 2014 9:59 AM in response to username…why…999

Take a look at this thread. It's long, but it may help you.

Re: Not impressed! No edit info, no library management!

And here:

iTunes 11 *****, can I revert to 10.x

What I ended up doing (note: I had already done the steps in the "...not impressed" thread above).

Uninstall iTunes 12 with AppZapper or AppDelete or similar.

Uninstall iBooks as above.

Delete these files:

1. /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BookKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.BKAgentService.xpc

(Note: you may need to force quit this service in Activity Monitor. Check to be sure it's not running.)

2. /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BookKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.iBooksX-SecureUserDefaults.xpc

3. /Users/*your home folder name*/Library/PDF Services/Add PDF to iBooks (ignore if file doesn't exist)

Restore your previous iTunes Media folders from backup.

Download iTunes 11.4 installer at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1774?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Open iTunes 11.4.dmg file.

Use Pacifist to install, check use administrative privileges; choose replace at all prompts. https://www.charlessoft.com

Reboot computer.

So far, it looks as it did in Mavericks. I haven't tried to sync i-devices yet, though.

If you don't have a backup of your media folders, that first message thread should help you.

Oct 24, 2014 2:34 AM in response to Waldos71

Ok, just try again with pacifist, it works. but you must take your previous library in the itunes media folder.

Don't understand what apple was thinking with that Itunes 12 design.

Fonts are to smalls, the timeline on the border of the window… All of this is just ugly.

Instead of trying to improve the design of an application that is great, an resulting in an application that's ugly, they shoul try to implement some things like "beaTunes" in Itunes. That would be much more appreciable.

Nov 6, 2014 9:27 AM in response to Waldos71

Newly installed iTunes 11.4 hangs. Running OSX 10.9.5 on 13" mid 2012 MacBook Pro. I detest iTunes 12; it won't even recognize my iPod.

I used AppDelete to remove 12, downloaded 11.4 dmg fresh, installed it. It didn't hang at first (I don't think), but I was worried about the library files & replaced iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml with older versions. Now 11.4 just hangs when I start it up. I've redeleted & reinstalled, but that didn't help. I guess I'll just remove the library files & hope it'll re-create them. ??? Any suggestions, feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Nov 6, 2014 10:47 AM in response to R B Oliveros

You can't just install 11.4. There are remnants of 12.0 that don't get replaced on install.

Download Pacifist from charlessoft.com and install it. Then open the 11.4 dmg file but don't install. Open Pacifist, and then drag the pkg installer in the dmg window into it. You can then force a proper 11.4 install, choosing the options to (1) use administrator permissions and (2) to replace all files. It's really important that you do it this way.

Go back up to my first post in this thread. Pacifist is the key here

remove itunes 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.