Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 Mac Pro + Yosemite + Radeon 7950

Hey all,

So, I'm running a 2010 Mac Pro (8-core, 42 GB RAM, OS X 10.9.5) with a Radeon Sapphire 7950 graphics card. Curious if anyone has encountered any issues with Yosemite on a configuration like this, particularly with the 7950. No reason to think the graphics chip would stop working, but worth a call-out!

Thanks.

J

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8-core Westmere (2x2.4GHz)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 9:52 AM

50 replies

Oct 20, 2014 2:34 AM in response to Joseph M

I have a mac pro with a Sapphire 7950 and an ATI HD 5870 and since I've gone to yosemite I've had tons of graphic glitches. I'm running 3 monitors and yosemite hates it. I even went back to the stock apple cards and t it still has problems.

Infact I cant even see what Im typiung into this reply window so please excuse any spelling mistakes.

Youtube wont work, most webpages have tearing issues in safari, applicationslock up, I hate it. I want to go back to 10.9

Oct 22, 2014 8:08 PM in response to Joseph M

I have a 2010 IMac, core i7 with an ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB. The graphics drivers are bad and appear to be causing multiple problems for folks. The only way I've been able to use my computer for more than 10 minutes is in safe mode. I thought the problems were confined to Radeon 5000 series cards but that might not be the case.

I think there are several threads on these discussion boards talking about the problem and I came over from this one:

Re:iMac mid 2010 graphics issues after installing Yosemite

Oct 27, 2014 5:16 AM in response to Joseph M

I am having problems with it. Mine is a 2010 Mac Pro, 2.8 GHz 4-core.

After installing Yosemite I noticed some freezes in Safari when, for instance, writing on some web site text boxes, especially the ones with a heavy Javascript sending what you type to the web site for "suggestions" (for example, the search box in Thomann, a German music instruments and audio equipment store).

Those freezes also block the graphics updates of other programs such as (in my case, Spectrafoo). I have noticed some problems with scrolling in Finder as well, which seem to be similar to these.

In order to verify that it's a system issue I tried a new install on a just erased hard disk. Same result.

Nov 2, 2014 6:50 AM in response to Joseph M

I had a ton of issues with yosemite and my Mac Pro with an ATI 7950 Sapphire. Safari would freeze my entire computer on some websites, and text boxes would freeze the computer up for a short period of time.

What I ended up having to do was wiping the drive and reinstalling Mavericks.

I tried a new user and a clean install of Yosemite before going back to mavericks and nothing worked.

Nov 18, 2014 7:46 PM in response to JuiceDanger

I'm having the same flicker issues with my 2008 Mac Pro with two ATI Radeon HD 5770 and four monitors. Updating to Yosemite has been a constant problem, primarily, but not limited to Safari (in fact, I had to copy paste what I had attempted to type in Safari to TextEdit, fixed several typos and then will repaste this back into Safari).

After reading a dozen or more posts on this and other sites about the Yosemite flicker, I have turned off all Safari extensions and plugins…as well as turning off and then when that didn’t work updating Flash.

I’ve had limited success, meaning everything will seem normal, ie, pre-Yosemite, for several minutes, but soon returns to the annoying flicker. Firefox, Opera nor Chrome have the same amount of flicker as Safari, but some pages still appear/disappear in parts and pieces. Filling in online forms is problematic…hard to figure out which box the typing is entering when the cursor and portions of the browser window flicker on and off as well as move positionally.

And the 10.10.1 update lessoned the amount of flicker but has not eliminated it.

Nov 20, 2014 10:35 PM in response to Joseph M

I have 5870 installed in Mac Pro 4,1 and Yosimite worked for a few weeks- then I slept the system- and now having issues with monitors blacking out like the system is going to sleep, but you cannot wake it up or get the monitors back until you restart the whole system. I have 3 Apple 27's connected to the system. After re-booting things take forever to boot up- then seems to work for a while- until all is black again. I could connect to my system from another machine and access all drives and data- but the monitors will not come back on until i restart it. I am now running system with one 27, and not having the issue- So after a few hours, I added a second monitor- and after a few more minutes- Blackness... 😟 Don't know what is going on. I at first thought the 5870 was going out on me, and was thinking of upgrading to a 7950 card, but now think this whole thing might be a software issue. Any help would be appreciated... hate working on one monitor.

2010 Mac Pro + Yosemite + Radeon 7950

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.