Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notifications Preferences not Sticking

Since updating to OSX 10.10 Yosemite, I am unable to save any changes to the Notifications settings in System Preferences. After I log out or reboot, everything reverts back to default. I have tried deleting a number of plist files and repairing permissions, but nothing has solved the problem. Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks,

Aaron

iMac, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 1:02 PM

21 replies

Oct 18, 2014 4:25 PM in response to Aaron622

It didn't work in the Beta either. I kept updating them, and just as fast I as updated, they were "restored" back to default. We thought Beta 6 fixed it, because I was actually getting my notifications on my mini, but it doesn't work on my MacBook Pro, either, which hasn't been updated to the latest build yet. It doesn't work on any of my machines, except my iPhone 5s. Both iPad2 and iPad mini keep changing, too. I also had to make a lot of network configuration changes for wireless and Time Machine after I installed the latest upgrade. None of that happened while running Beta 6. Something went really wrong between the final Beta and the release they did to the public on Thursday. Very sloppy work, Apple. I'm disappointed.

Oct 18, 2014 6:14 PM in response to Aaron622

OK, as of 6pm PDT, Notifications are now coming through for mail, which they weren't earlier today, but the Notification settings still keep reverting to default and it looks like most of the other types of notifications are not showing up at all now. I turned a few more on to see if they work and will update if something changes. So someone must be working on it. There are a few other threads that people started on the forum about this, too. Interesting to see how many hoops people are trying to jump through to turn the darn things off. Let's be glad it's just an annoyance and not an essential part of the software. in any case, it should have been fixed weeks ago when we first noticed it wasn't working.

Oct 18, 2014 9:38 PM in response to Aaron622

And isn't it frustrating to see all tbose notifications on your locked screen? I think I must have unchecked that box a zillion times by now, considering the large number of notification scripts I have loaded and have tried repeatedly to change. I can't keep the ones I want to work on, or turn the ones I don't want off. I just want the entire Notification system turned off right now until they fix it. I decided to delete as many notification scripts as I could, but there's still too many that come pre-loaded that you can't just delete without affecting the programs they report from.

Oct 22, 2014 6:25 PM in response to Aaron622

Here are the instructions I got from AppleCare from an Apple Engineer. I'm not sure if the fix was specifically for my machine or if it'll work for someone else. Follow at your own risk.

1. Open the Library folder in your Home folder.

2. In the Library folder, open the Application Support folder.

3. Locate the folder named NotificationCenter. Drag this folder to the desktop.

4. Next, open the Terminal application.

Copy and paste each line of these commands into the Terminal window, in order. Press return after each line:

cd `getconf DARWIN_USER_DIR`

rm -rf com.apple.notificationcenter

killall usernoted; killall NotificationCenter

5. Close the Terminal app.

6. Restart your computer.

The notification preference changes won't stick until you restart a 2nd time after this.

Notifications Preferences not Sticking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.