Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared mac showing up several times

My media mac is showing several times in my other mac and iphone (remote) withe different numbers. Why?

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 3:49 PM

I have the same problem with my MacBook Pro.

I've set the machine name to "wotex", soon it's "wotex (2)", then "wotex (3)" and so on. On my MacMini when I browse all the network I see all "instances" reported.

So far "renaming" the machine does not help, as it starts all over again the (2) and (3).... really annoying.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2014 3:49 PM in response to purensimple

I have the same problem with my MacBook Pro.

I've set the machine name to "wotex", soon it's "wotex (2)", then "wotex (3)" and so on. On my MacMini when I browse all the network I see all "instances" reported.

So far "renaming" the machine does not help, as it starts all over again the (2) and (3).... really annoying.

Oct 20, 2014 9:23 PM in response to purensimple

Yep. This has been happening for a while.

Curious if anyone else is also experiencing this multiple times in console:

10/21/14 12:18:20.810 AM discoveryd[53]: Basic DNSResolver dropping message because it doesn't match the one sent Port:0 MsgID:0

Wondering if it might be related.. Someone on another forum changed the DNS to Google's and the the message disappeared. Which makes me think it might be an Airport/Time Capsule issue?

Oct 24, 2014 11:03 AM in response to purensimple

The same happens here. It shows several times in Finder too.

Happens to my MacBook Pro but not to my Mac mini. Really strange.

I've noticed that every time it "spawns" a new host name I get a message about an IP address conflict. The weird thing is that I run my own DHCP server and it assigns a fixed IP to my MacBook. There is no chance for other machine to get the same address.

Oct 29, 2014 7:35 AM in response to srod94

This is very clearly a bug in Yosemite given that it began for most people when they upgraded to Yosemite. I realize that this happened on a small scale during previous Mac OS X updates, but not to the extent it's happening now.

If you have a computer where file sharing has to be turned on and where "wake for network access" has to be turned on, my best advice is to either wait for a fix from Apple or else reintstall Mavericks--not an easy task because you must wipe the disk, reinstall mavericks and then use Migration Assistant to bring over your apps and data from your previous install. We have a home media server (an older MacBook) and I got so frustrated that I did reinstall Mavericks. And that was a 100% fix for this problem.

If you can turn off file sharing and turn off wake for network access on the problem computer, that MIGHT work.

Also, if you have an Apple Airport Express or Airport Extreme where that device is providing your local network, open Airport Utility and click on the device picture and then click "Edit." In the Base Station tab, add your iCloud ID towards the bottom of that window. Then click "Update" to update your Airport device. If you have multiple iCloud IDs that are accessing the shared computer, do the same thing on each of those computers. That MIGHT also work.

Shared mac showing up several times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.