Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get a clean file path in OS X Yosemite?

I need to get file paths for Stata. Before Yosemite, I have to bare with the cmd+I and copy from the information panel. After I upgrade to Yosemite, cmd+I gives me a path look like this: User -> file1-->.... Now, I need to delete E-V-E-R-Y --> after I copy this path into Stata in order to set up the working directory. Is there a way I can work around with this and get a simple clean file path such as \user\aaa\aaa\aaa\aaa.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 5:02 PM

Drop the file into a Terminal window.

40 replies

Oct 22, 2014 8:26 AM in response to cynthy_macprouser

Good links to those automators, Linc

As to why this is so difficult on OSX (as Cinthy asks), I've often wondered the same, and wondered why this seemingly simple feature hasn't been included on release after release of OSX. Well, I decided to stop expecting Apple to do something, and ponder their thought process, instead. I believe Apple doesn't like (hates) its users seeing a file path. They don't even want users thinking of the idea of a file system at all. This is the design philosophy of a company that's focused on consumer products-- and if the merging of OSX and iOS is any indication (Yosemite moves closer to this than any release so far, and reveals Apples future intentions), then I wouldn't expect to ever see this feature in any future release of OSX either. iOS and consumer devices are dictating the future of OSX, and unless we're willing to get geeky with automator solutions and such, this distinction (out-of-the-box, at least), will keep Windows dominating work environments, and OSX dominating consumer environments (at least such is Apple's goal and focus). Just my 2c..

Oct 22, 2014 9:40 AM in response to seduc

Seriously? "What's the problem with that"? create a service? use terminal?

Regular users who need a path to a file should not "copy a file and paste it into terminal" nor "create a service to a get a file path".

File path is basic and should be readily available.

Think as a user (you are not thinking as a regular user right now, in case you thought otherwise).

How to get a clean file path in OS X Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.