Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera not working after yosemite upgrade

After i upgraded into Yosemite os, my facetime occurs this problem: There's no connected camera for facetime while ichat still working. What should i do?

MacBook Air 2011, Mac OS X (10.10)

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 3:31 AM

Reset SMC. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Choose the method for:

"Resetting SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own".

44 replies

Oct 20, 2014 2:42 PM in response to dominic23

I tried this (MacBook Pro, 2011), although with the SMC reset, there was no real way of checking whether anything had happened...I held down the buttons as instructed for 3-4 seconds and hoped for the best. Did it twice because the first time it didn't work. Neither did it work the second time.

The camera works fine with Skype. With FT, the message is "there is no connected camera" and there is no way (like, perhaps, under the VIDEO tab??? There's only MICROPHONE information there. Huh?) to connect a camera to FT. Really odd. Nothing happens when I click "preferences" either.

Any ideas?

I have closed and reopened FT.

I have rebooted after closing all applications.

I have hard rebooted (using power button) after closing all applications.

I have done the SMC reset.

I am close to throwing the computer against the opposite wall, but I suspect that may be even less useful than the preceding four efforts.

Any suggestions (particularly with sympathy) welcomed.

Nov 2, 2014 5:07 AM in response to Alexandrafromga

My camera was not working either after upgrading to Yosemite. But I've reset the SMC and it worked for me. Here are the steps I've followed (since all the apple support pages linked returned a 404 error code, I had to find them elsewhere) on a mid-2012 Macbook Air:

• Turn off the mac (by holding the power button);
  • Plug in the magsafe adapter and make sure it is charging;
  • Hold these four keys and release all of them at the same time: Left Shift, Control, Option (Alt) and the Power Button;

If your battery is not completely charged, it should be easy to verify that you did it properly since the orange led in the magsafe adapter should blink green and then go back to orange.

Nov 18, 2014 2:49 PM in response to izibizi

Just upgraded today, more is the pity. Camera now is not detected. Have 2012 MacBook Air so cant remove battery power. Tried SMC and all other suggestions. I see izibizi reverted to Mavericks. Did the camera work in Mavericks or Yosemite when it did work. It has to be something to do with the upgrade and I trust Apple will provide an update to solve the problem. very soon. Any other ideas???

Nov 21, 2014 10:55 AM in response to Bobby.J

Sorry, nothing to do with Facetime. It is to do with the Camera itself and the detection of the hardware by the system. This morning, I checked through "System Information"/Camera and the camera is detected. Later, I go on to Skype, Facetime or Photo Booth and Camera is not found. Check through System Info again and No Camera is found. So, I leave it for 1 hour and everything is working OK again. It is so intermittent and unpredictable. I did not have any problems pre Yosemite.

Camera not working after yosemite upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.