Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband was not able to install the new sounds

I'm on an iMac 21.5-inch (mid 2011) running Yosemite; 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5; 4GB memory.

A few months ago, I uninstalled GarageBand. Now I'm trying to reinstall it. I can get GarageBand 6 reinstalled, but I would like to get working with the latest version. I'm able to download the latest version from the App Store with no issue. It installs with no issue.

When I open it, it thanks for me downloading it, and then begins to download "an essential collection of sounds and loops." After a bit of downloading, it asks for my admin password; I enter it, and a few seconds later, it gives the error: "GarageBand was not able to install the new sounds. Close and re-open GarageBand to download and install them again." Closing and reopening GarageBand just takes me through the same loop (no pun intended). When the window is open, if I click on the GarageBand menu in the Apple bar, nothing happens.

It does not ask me to accept anything; I am signed into the App Store with the same Apple ID I have always used (it is the only one I have ever had, so that's not the issue). I am an admin on my Mac, so it's not a permissions issue. It's not a password issue either.

Things I have tried:

• Rebooting into Safe Boot and opening from there; same issue.
  • Repaired permissions (it fixed oodles of things completely unrelated to GarageBand); same issue.
  • Creating a new admin profile and opening from there; it gives a different error, but the effect is the same.
  • Removed the program, trashed anything remotely related to GarageBand (preferences, folders, etc), emptied the trash, restarted the computer, reinstalled; same issue.
  • Installed GarageBand on top of itself, just in case; same issue.

I can't think of what else to try. Help!

For reference, here is a screenshot of what I'm getting stuck on:

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 8:53 PM

65 replies

Jan 19, 2017 3:37 PM in response to lijoesat

I have Sierra with a 2010 Macbook Pro for the last 40 hours it has been continually uploading Garage Band essentials 1.87 gigs it gets it up there and just fails or I think it has done it then when I start Garage Band it starts uploading over and over. What is up with this? It worked with El Cap on my other Macbook pro, I'm confused is it Sierra?

Feb 11, 2017 5:35 PM in response to lindsaybits

I had this same issue. I called Apple and worked on this for two solid hours. The tech went through everything he knew and was still having issues. The tech I spoke to even was amazed at the issues I was having, as he has never ran into download errors with GarageBand. Lastly, I even reinstalled macOS Sierra on my system in a last ditch effort. None of this worked.

However, I read another user was having this problem. He was trying to download the additional content over wifi, and was told by Apple Support to use a hardwired connection. He tried tethering his phone to his Mac and downloading everything over 3G, and this solved his issue.

I didn't want to go out and buy an USB ethernet adapter, (my Mac is the 2015 MacBook Pro, that has no Ethernet ports whatsoever) I tried tethering my phone, downloading about 100MB or so, then going back to my wifi. This solved the issue. If it ever stopped and threw the "Unable to download content" message, I would just stop it again, download some on tether, then go back to wifi.

It seems there is some kind of issue with GarageBand and home wifi networks downloading .pkg files for the app. I have a Linksys g/n/ac router with 75 Mb download, so I should definitely have the bandwidth necessary to handle a 20GB download without using my phone tether. The Apple tech that helped me left me his number and email, so I am definitely going to tell him how I fixed this issue, and hopefully he will pass this information onto the Apple Engineers who make GarageBand. Hopefully Apple will address this issue.

Oct 23, 2014 2:33 PM in response to lindsaybits

Same thing here. I even uninstalled Yosemite and went back to Mavericks, clean install, but still no good. Hope someone comes up with an answer. I guess guys at Apple don't even know of this error. OS X is becoming a mediocre OS, just like windows was back in the early 00s. Better put your engineers to work in making a better OS, rather than taking care of what cable people use to charge their iphones with.
Anyway, if someone know how to fix this issue, please post.

Oct 25, 2014 12:38 PM in response to lindsaybits

So I have I Garageband on my Imac and had it for several years, no problems, even after several upgrades. Still working just fine.

Today I decided to install it on my Mac Mini and everything was fine until I got the same screen as above. I tried rebooting, verifying disk, repairing permissions and so on to no avail.

Is there no response from Apple about this? None at all?

I would never ever dare to blame Apple for messing up the install, but they could at least explain to me what I did wrong. This violence of silence is hurting me to much.

Nov 2, 2014 1:09 AM in response to lindsaybits

Hey guys... i found something that might help.. http://chentiangemalc.wordpress.com/2012/06/28/case-of-the-continually-failing-g arageband-software-update-macos/

Point to note.. the upgrade finally worked me for but I think the exact procedure given in the link is not applicable to all systems. For me I had to completely delete the cached files in /private/var/folders (everything.. not just the GB cache). Temporarily some other media files also got deleted but after I installed Garageband update, everything was back in order. This guy was an absolute life saver. Have been struggling with this problem the entire week!

And not a peep form Apple the whole time. There are many Garageband users who are having this problem and no one form Apple had any advice to give!

Nov 2, 2014 4:03 AM in response to lindsaybits

The solution Lijoesat posted above worked for me!

First I found the private/var/folders/ (and then lots of gibberish folders) and singled out two garageband files and deleted them. This did not work.

I then deleted everything which may or may not be a good thing, I am an idiot, I have no idea if these are extremely important files or not!

I tried to empty the trash bin after but many files was locked and Garageband would still not install.

I did a restart of the computer, emptied the bin successfully and tried to install Garageband again and it worked fine!

The inserted picture show some of the folder structure, I deleted everything after private/var/folders/

User uploaded file

Nov 2, 2014 7:12 AM in response to Helge1972

that's awesome! I did the same thing first. Deleted only the two GB files but that didn't work. Though I'm not sure if you should've emptied Trash. I kept all the files there just in case. Still worked for me. Are you having any other problems after deleting those files?

in any case, it was great relief to finally get all the sounds and loops. So bloody frustrating the whole week was. Hope it helps other here too.

Nov 2, 2014 11:49 AM in response to lijoesat

I havent found any problems yet. Before the restart I got some horrible error messages in the Appstore but a restart fixed that. Now I only find one odd message about installing Yosemite (it is installed, works great) in the appstore but I do so on the other computer as well so I guess it is not relevant. Everything else looks normal.

Oh, forgot to mention. Yesterday I installed iLife 2011 from DVD and this old version works on Yosemite! It even updated itself through the appstore but it did not upgrade to the newest version. I then went ahead to try to install the new version on top of this older one but it then made the same failed install separate from the 2011 version as if they were two completely different programs. The iLife 2011 version works fine though. So I have two versions now.

Garageband was not able to install the new sounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.