Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to send/receive SMS on iPad Air with iOS 8.1?

I downloaded the 8.1 update this morning for my iPad Air and my iPhone 5s. After doing so, I was prompted on my MacBook Air to input a messaging verification code on my phone in order to enable SMS messaging on my laptop. I have not, however, been able to set my iPad up similarly to send/receive SMS. I have tried signing out of iMessage and signing back in, doing a hard reset, and turning Messages on and off with no success. Whenever I attempt to send a message to a non-iPhone user, it will not allow me to send, saying that the user is not registered with iMessage. How can I fix this?

iPad, iOS 8, iPad Air

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 11:24 AM

54 replies

Oct 21, 2014 12:19 AM in response to 5Pse

i've just upgrade my mini iPad to ios8.im having problem on my messages i lost all the old message knor i can't click anything or even create new mssg. i've tried to send msg frm my iPhone it only pops up in notification on iPad but i can't open the messages its blank. Please advise me has anyone experience this before..help help.thanks

Oct 21, 2014 12:33 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Hi I have the same problem but I restarted the forwarding option 3 times and still it says the person isn't signed up with iMessage. I thought I would be cable to text anyone from my macbook pro after the 8.1 and Yosemite update. I don't understand why I can't.

Nevermind. I am unable to delete my comment. I restarted the message program on my computer and now can 🙂

Unable to send/receive SMS on iPad Air with iOS 8.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.