Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Push not working or is it?

My question is about mail push. I don't believe mail push is working correctly. Or that it is and I just don't understand how it is supposed to work.

Currently running iPhone 5 - IOS 8.1

User uploaded file

In my screenshot attached, you can see that the current time was 2:44pm and the two mailboxes that are blacked out are Exchange accounts set for push. However, each time I unlock my phone and go to the mail application , I see the mail update. In this case, the mail was last updated at 2:32pm. Once the refresh finished all my mail flooded in (all the mail over the 12 minutes it didn't update).

This sounds like pull to me, not push. Anyone else have or have seen this before? and what do you recommend?

Thank you.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 11:55 AM

21 replies

Oct 22, 2014 9:07 AM in response to marcjc

My issue was similar, but two fold.

Push mail stopped completely for my Exchange account after installing iOS 8.1. My non-exchange account continued to push fine. Exchange account would only update itself when I opened the mailbox.

• To resolve this, I had to remove the Exchange account from my phone and then add it back. After that, the push schedule worked.
  • 2. Though push was now working, Mail notifications stopped working for that account, even though they were still set to show me alerts and badges, etc.

• To resolve this, I had to go into the notifications settings and turn off notifications for Mail. Then re-enabled them and made sure it was set to my liking. After this, push and notifications worked as they did prior to the 8.1 update.
  • Hope this helps!

Oct 22, 2014 3:47 PM in response to Schuelli238

I am definitely having this issue. At first I thought this was a result of Outlook.com having issues, but I created an iCloud email and that doesn't work either. No push notifications. I tried turning off notifications, turning back on, turning off push then back on, etc. Uninstalling re-installing the email, nothing. Is this an issue with iOS 8.x?

Oct 23, 2014 3:44 AM in response to marcjc

I'm having problems with push notifications too in ios 8.1 with an iPhone 6. From time to time, out of the blue, I get a notification but mostly I don't at all. This seems to be happining with my outlook.com and hotmail.com accounts. I have 1.deleted the account and reset it, 2.de-activated then activated notifications, 3.reset network settings - Nothing helped! I also use a 3rd party app for my OWA emal account and the same problem occurs with the notifications here. I have to say that I do not remember an ios having as many bugs as ios8!! What a pain!

Oct 23, 2014 5:31 AM in response to nicolefrompully

Starting to think this isn't a mail problem. I DFU mode restored back to factory 8.1 and still have the same issue. Based on NICOLEFOMPULLY this is happening with a 3rd party app too. I am linking these issues we are all having to wifi problems. Today after my factory reset, i noticed that when the mail would try to sync each time I turned my phone on, my speedtest.net results were terrible. After some more testing with speeedtest.net I discovered that each time I woke my phone up from its sleeping, I had different wifi signals showing in settings and different results from each time I tested. The results would vary from really bad to worse. Turning on and off of wifi had no affect. I rebooted my phone and tested again, staying in the same location in my home, and wifi speedtest.net results were perfect. Ran speedtest.net multiple times and all good. I put my phone down for a while, then woke it up and ran speedtest.net again and had same issues previously, only thing that seems to fix it is a reboot.

So, I am thinking based on all this, that each time we wake our phones up, we go directly to mail, (because we have no lives and very demanding jobs), and then we are on wifi (at least I am) and then mail syncing is a no go or very slow due to wifi issues as described.

Oct 27, 2014 2:34 PM in response to marcjc

I Have found that mail delivery hangs with the spinning wheel particularly for Exchange accounts. This of course causes battery drain. I see the start of the email in the list of emails but when I open the message it hangs on loading displaying no email content.

I Have so found my general internet connect, whether it be home wifi, work wifi or cellular, has got very slow as well.....mysterious.

Nov 2, 2014 2:01 PM in response to marcjc

UPDATE: I found a random post somewhere talking about turning off background app refresh (the main switch). This does not affect push for mail, that setting overrides the background app refresh settings.

So, I disabled the main switch for all background app refresh and then hard booted my iphone 5 (power and home button). It has now been two full days without having the issues described above in my original and follow up posts. I will give this some more time and then repost with any additional findings or updates.

-Marc

Nov 6, 2014 8:19 PM in response to marcjc

I had the same issue with Hotmail.

this is what fixed it for me:

1. Delete your Hotmail mail account.

2. Add a new mail account and CHOOSE OUTLOOK mail Account

3. When prompted for your "outlook.com" mail account name, type in your hotmail account login informatio.

4. Once saved, make sure the mail type is PUSH.

all done!!!!

hope this works for others!

Mail Push not working or is it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.