Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No 2G,3G,4G toggle after IOS 8.1 Update

I got very excited when looking at the list of items included in IOS 8.1 update this evening. One of the things on the list has been greatly missed, the toggle to switch off 3G and run on 2G only. After the update..... options are exactly the same. Cellular Data on or off, Enable 4G on or off. I should say I am on EE 3G in the UK.

Does anyone else have a different result after the update????

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 12:04 PM

102 replies

Oct 20, 2014 2:04 PM in response to thebremner

I contacted AppleCare about this issue earlier, their current advice is that this must be a glitch in the install process and to perform a full DFU restore of your device using iTunes. I must stress I have yet to complete this (currently midway through) so cannot guarantee this will fix the issue, but wanted to relay their advice.

iPhone 5S 16GB & iPad Air 16GB WiFi/Cellular

Oct 20, 2014 6:28 PM in response to thebremner

Just to update you, have just spent the best part of two hours discussing this in detail on the phone with AppleCare. Funnily enough both the first AppleCare advisor & then the senior technician I spoke to are experiencing this issue as well. They have escalated the issue to try and get a fix back out to me. No doubt seeing as this is obviously a widespread technical issue this will take the form of a software update for those affected.

Out of interest, what devices are you guys having this issue on? For myself it's the iPhone 5S & the iPad Air, the senior advisor was also using an iPhone 5S, so we were wondering if it may be down to the processor in the device (i.e. the A7 processor & M7 motion coprocessor). if this were the case then it would affect the iPhone 5S, the iPad Air & the iPad Mini 2

Oct 20, 2014 6:39 PM in response to NickMac7

AppleCare were really helpful, the fact that I had pre-empted all the standard troubleshooting tips and saved them the time of having me do this means it has been flagged to the necessary departments already. From another post on the forums I have seen, it is also affecting users of the iPhone 6, so not just down to the A7 chip. I would be willing to put a lot of money on 8.1.1 coming out in the next 48 - 72 hours....

Oct 20, 2014 9:30 PM in response to thebremner

After switching over to iPhone 6 from Nexus i was waiting for 8.1 as many forums has blogs of 2G/3G toggle option to be there in 8.1 update.

Checked the update today morning and it was given there that 2G/3G/4G option will be there. But still the same thing after update. How can apple list it if it wasn't there in the update.

Oct 21, 2014 6:26 AM in response to SunnyR9

SunnyR9 this issue is NOT affecting all users. It is not however carrier dependant as killhippe suggests. Apple changed the options so that instead of just an enable 4G toggle in the cellular/mobile (dependant on your language settings) menu, a new sub menu has been created entitled voice/data that then gives you an enable 2G toggle, enable 3G toggle & an enable 4G toggle REGARDLESS of carrier. This is so that you can limit which signal bands your device searches for (providing the HARDWARE) is capable, so that if, for example, your carrier don't provide you with a 4G service, you can stop your device from searching for a 4G signal & save battery. It also brings back the enable 3G toggle that was lost if you bought a 4G capable device.

To reiterate, this is not affecting all users, some have downloaded the new software without incident, but this is an option that should be available to ALL users of iPhone 5 & above, but for some reason has not been included in every download. Those of you who have the new menu, great, lucky you. Those who don't, do not worry Apple are working on a fix. Those of you who do t know any better (killerhippie) please stop stating that it is a carrier dependant issue when it is not! 4G coverage is carrier dependant, but the ability to enable your device to connect to a 4G network is most certainly not.

No 2G,3G,4G toggle after IOS 8.1 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.