Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting error 'user not registered for online use' when getting track names on iTunes 12.0.1 on OSX Yosemite

Does anyone know how to get the track names without getting this error message?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), iTunes 12.0.1

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 4:02 AM

I am having the same issues since upgrading to iTunes 12 and Yosemite....

35 replies

Oct 21, 2014 7:29 AM in response to Kid Kique

I have been unable to determine the problem...I have done several reinstalls of both the iTunes 12 and Yosemite with no luck....I also have a macbook air that I upgraded and iTunes seems to work fine with getting track names....I have gone through and compared the configuration settings between both machines and cannot determine any difference....so I am stumped....

Oct 22, 2014 4:46 AM in response to Kid Kique

Yes...I am using the same apple ID on both devices...the macbook air gets the track names just fine.....but not on my mac pro.......this problem is more than just an annoyance....as I purchase 100-200 CDs month the thought of having to manually enter the album information will likely lead me to downgrading back to iTunes 11 and if necessary back to Mavericks.....I am a big fan apple but one problem I see with them is they are guided by what is cool and not what is practical....and one thing users dont what with upgrades is a disruption of their workflow processes...enhancement yes...change in processes not necessarily...this is what happen with software engineers are isolated from real users of their software.....I have been in several software companies and battled the engineering teams all the time that wanted to add this or that because it was "Cool" ...but the users would always fire back "yes its cool but I dont need it.... its doesnt add value to what I am doing".....to me iTunes is just tool....I dont give a rats *** about all the "slickness" they built because it really doesnt facilitate anything meaningful in how i engage or with my media...in short I think iTunes 12 has gotten less intuitive and more convoluted......

Oct 22, 2014 5:53 AM in response to for-no-one

I ve been on the phone with apple care and we've narrowed dowm the root cause to be some setting in the user profile. if you make a new admin profile and then log in with that new profile things should work fine. I have an RTA in with Apple's engineering group now that should be answered within four days - and hopefully then we'll know what setting to change, but in the meantime make a new user profile and see if that helps.

Oct 22, 2014 10:27 AM in response to Kid Kique

I remembered from past issues with ITunes that sometimes the iTunes.plist file can get corrupted causing issues. Deleting the file and having ITunes recreate it can fix some issues. It wasnt until I went to delete the that particular file that I discovered there was a gracenote.plist file as well. Its my understanding cd information such as track names are pulled from the gracenote database (www.gracenote.com). I thought this file could also be corrupt and therefore decided to delete both and reinstall iTunes...so far it appears to have worked.....at least for me...

Getting error 'user not registered for online use' when getting track names on iTunes 12.0.1 on OSX Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.