Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stop safari from opening last session in Yosemite

I've searched the web looking for an answer.

Just upgraded to Yosemite and have Safari 8 now on my Macbook Pro.

Everytime I open Safari, it opens my last session...I get some people like this, I do not.

I've seen that there’s now a separate preference for what Safari 8 should do on startup: open a new window or restore all windows from the previous session.

I can't seem to find the option in Safari preferences anymore.

I want Safari to open to my homepage....I shouldn't have to click the Shift button every time....plz help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 9:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 10:12 PM

Hi ..

Open System Preferences > General

Select: Close windows when quitting an app

Then restart your Mac to test.

18 replies

Sep 17, 2015 11:33 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi,

I have same problem as skojtx, I am using a new macbook and in Safari 8.0.8.

Everytime I open Safari, it opens in an old session (Not the last session) when trying to login to my Sky ID account (An attempt that failed). When I was using Safari in this mode I had it reduced to the right hand side of the screen as I was doing split screen work.

Whenever I open Safari it opens from the right hand side of the dock bar (As if pulling up from a minimised position, despite having been fully closed down) and opens in the small window on the right hand side of the screen as it was when I was on that link. This website was last used 5 days ago and yet it still keeps opening.

I have searched for answers and have tried many things, all that did not work (See below) - I can only open safari on my homepage (www.bc.co.uk/sport), where it opens 'normally' - and not as if it was opening from a minimised position - is holding shift down when I click on Safari.

These failed attempts have included:

• Both selecting and unselecting the Close windows when quitting an app in the System preferences (Not Safari Preferences!!!!)
  • Turning MacBook off whilst safari in maximised (Not full screen) mode and back on
  • Use of command-alt-Q
  • System update software to Yosemite 10.10.5 (Not aware of a specific Safari update within that though) - and trialling all of the above options since the update.

I don't see why I should be having to use Shift + Click to open Safari. I have no idea what led to it continuing to open on such an old page in a weird way from the far right hand side of the dock. Does it mean I will have to await El Capitan until it is resolved?

Help much appreciated!!

Sep 18, 2015 4:20 AM in response to youandadam

Yes it is, because Safari comes bundled with OS X — if you uninstall Safari, you'll need to reinstall the operating system to get it back. Before you go to such an extreme length, open Safari in Safe Mode and delete all your cookies, all your website data, your history, and then clear the caches. You can do this by opening your Safari Preferences, going to the Advanced tab, then selecting "Show Develop menu in menu bar." Once you see it up there, click on it, then scroll down to "Empty Caches." Uninstall all extensions. After you do this, try opening Safari normally.

stop safari from opening last session in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.