Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is ambrosia audio? won't install

I just upgraded to yosemite and a message appeared that there was no support for ambrosia audio and the this is necessary for mac audio.

It asked permission to download and install and I said yes. When it said a restart was required to complete installation I hit restart. However, when I signed in to my Mac I got the SAME message that I needed to install Ambrosia audio. I repeated the process. What is going on and how do I fix it?

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 4:14 AM

Hi,

Ambrosia audio is used by programs made by Ambrosia software. Some time before you have installed a program from Ambrosia and now you do not use it anymore, but it is still there.

1. Search for everything that comes from "ambrosia", for instance with Spotlight or other third party search tool.
  2. If you have a program like Clean My Mac or AppCleaner, use it for deleting the Ambrosia software with all it's files. Ortherwise, delete the software manually by dragging it to the trash.
  3. Reboot
  4. If the problem persists, make sure that you have also deleted the programs from Ambrosia that are in /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons and /Library/StartupItems and while you are at it check also /Library/Extensions and /Library/Audio and /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins
  5. Empty the Trash.
  6. Reboot.

I hope this helps.

Jonas

Sweden

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2014 4:14 AM in response to hauskurz

Hi,

Ambrosia audio is used by programs made by Ambrosia software. Some time before you have installed a program from Ambrosia and now you do not use it anymore, but it is still there.

1. Search for everything that comes from "ambrosia", for instance with Spotlight or other third party search tool.
  2. If you have a program like Clean My Mac or AppCleaner, use it for deleting the Ambrosia software with all it's files. Ortherwise, delete the software manually by dragging it to the trash.
  3. Reboot
  4. If the problem persists, make sure that you have also deleted the programs from Ambrosia that are in /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons and /Library/StartupItems and while you are at it check also /Library/Extensions and /Library/Audio and /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins
  5. Empty the Trash.
  6. Reboot.

I hope this helps.

Jonas

Sweden

Nov 1, 2014 9:38 AM in response to hauskurz

Hi

I upgraded to Yosemite yesterday and received the same message and although the install appears to work fine, the error message persited on my next reboot. Based on your information that it was associated to SnapZ Pro, I tried the app. The app gave me an error saying the Audio component was needed but after hitting 'cancel' on the prompt to install, it seemed to function normally. SnapZ pro launched and allowed me to capture a segment of my screen to the clipboard. I have not tested all the functionality of snap pro, like movie recording (which makes me think the audio component is part of) but for normal screen capture it seems to work OK.

Mar 5, 2015 10:08 AM in response to hauskurz

That message is from the program Snapz Pro X ...

Snapz Pro X allows you to take video screen grabs of your mac. However, after the release of Yosemite, Snapz Pro X no longer can record the mac audio - it gives the error: Ambrosia Audio Support Missing.

So, Snapz Pro X will continually ask you to install Ambrosia Audio Support. The problem is, it never installs. You can install Ambrosia Audio Support and restart your mac 100 times, and it will still give you that error.

Hopefully, Snapz Pro X will fix this issue.

May 6, 2015 10:08 PM in response to hauskurz

Go here to uninstall the "Ambrosia Audio Support". This is the Uninstaller (provided by Ambrosia themselves):

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/addons?sort=submitted_on&order=des c

And then restart your computer. Test it out and try to capture a video using your Snapz Pro. My settings in Snapz Pro are set like this (below), which totally works. I am able to capture video and sound, just like usual (pre-Yosemite)! Here are my settings in Snapz Pro:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jun 19, 2015 3:05 AM in response to Ramblinmanva

Clayton Rhoades wrote:

I've run into this same problem. Were you ever able to get this to work?

The current official version of SnapzPro is still 2.5.4 and this is still not compatible with Yosemite. The best most recent news I could find is here

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133395

If your not happy with the beta version then using QuickTime Screen recording with something like SoundFlower is your only choice.

Jun 20, 2015 7:09 AM in response to John Lockwood

John: Thanks for the info.

I played around with QT and SoundFlower and I'll have to keep experiment. I have a new maxed out Imac Retina and I thought the processor could handle it. The video I shot had very clunky video. The audio is perfect the video is very choppy and unappealing to watch.

I'll have to research it more to figure it out I guess. Thanks for the tip.

Jun 23, 2015 4:05 AM in response to Ramblinmanva

If your trying to record the entire screen of a 5K Retina iMac then this is a huge amount of data and it is no wonder it is struggling as it all has to be written to the hard disk. You may either have to not run the game in full-screen i.e. run it in a smaller window and capture just that area, or lower the resolution of the screen while you do this.

For your information there are various HDMI game capture devices like this one https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-hd60 but they would require you to use an external HDMI display e.g. a TV connected to your iMac and will of course 'only' be 1920x1080 resolution which is far less than the iMac 5K resolution.

What is ambrosia audio? won't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.