Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Library Beta Resolution of Video/Photo

My understanding was that photos that were uploaded from my iOS device to iCloud Photo Library would be stored in iCloud at their original resolution. So far this does not appear to be the case as a video I shot with the back camera on my iPhone 5 (1920x1080) was uploaded to iCloud, but when I downloaded it to my computer using the web interface it would only download at 1280x720. Is this a restriction of the beta, or is this the way it is supposed to work? I cannot find any information on this. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 6:17 AM

17 replies

Oct 24, 2014 5:22 AM in response to hobby888

I *think* they are being uploaded at full resolution and only downloaded at a lower res. When I upload a photo and check the amount of online storage I am using, it increases by something much closer to the full size of the photo than the downloaded version.

I took a photo which shows as 1.7MB in Windows. The downloaded version was 900KB. iCloud showed that I was using 1.4MB for it. Maybe they are using some extra compression?

Hopefully the non-beta version will allow full res download (and hopefully iCloud for Windows will support it correctly too by then 😉 ).

Oct 24, 2014 7:51 AM in response to Star Traveler

We weren't talking about that though. We were talking about downloading from the icloud.com beta site to a PC/MAC. We were expecting to get the full res images (useful for editing/cropping etc.) but instead only get significantly smaller resampled versions.

As I said earlier though. I do think the problem is in the downloading to PC, not the upload from iDevice.

Oct 24, 2014 8:40 AM in response to Jong999

Here's the tthing on a download button ... if that button is a functionality of the browser itself (it was designed as part of the browser) then your going to get what the browser itself is showing you. On the other hand, if the download button is a design of the website you are accessing, then you will get a full size version. At least that's what I think ... :-) ...

iCloud Photo Library Beta Resolution of Video/Photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.