Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal Mic not working for phone calls in Yosemite

Hi Everyone!

My internal mic isn't working for phone calls using Continuity. I can hear the other side on my Mac, but they can't hear me.

Any ideas?

Some facts:

• Making/receiving calls works fine on from my iPad using Continuity. (Which indicates to me that the iPhone is working fine)
  • Everything has been updated to Yosemite / iOS 8.1
  • FaceTime works fine on my mac. I can see/hear AND speak to the other side. (Which indicates that that internal mic is working fine)
  • Under System Preferences / Sound / Input, the "Input" has the Internal Mic/Built In chosen. When speaking, I can see the sound bar moving. (i.e. the mic is picking up my voice)
  • The mac with the problem is a MBPro 13" 2013 model with Yosemite

Given all of the above, when someone calls, I can hear them but they can't hear me.

MacBook 13"

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 10:15 AM

I have the same problem. I disconnected the apple tv and I finally began to feel. Probably there was a conflict between the blutooth. Remain a problem. People who telephone tell me they heard very badly, disturbed, with ECHO, words truncated. Is a very serious problem for me.

28 replies

Oct 21, 2014 2:53 PM in response to Gregorysreid

I wanted to add some information to the above question that I posted:

• Native FaceTime (i.e. with video) works fine on both the Mac and the iPhone.
  • The microphone issue seems to arise when I am 'calling' out from the Mac or answering and inbound call to the Mac using Continuity and it is engaging my iPhone to use the available cell service. However, this issue does NOT occur when I use my iPad to make or receive a call using Continuity through the iPhone.

Nov 1, 2014 3:06 PM in response to Gregorysreid

I have exactly the same bug. To clarify I am using an M Pro (late 2013) with a logitech C910 webcam as mic. It initiates call: I hear the other side, but the mic is not working (no movement on the histogram when I speak). The C910 works OK with Skype test call on the same Mac, but not when relaying continuity call over iPhone 5s with that Mac. The same phone works OK for continuity call with a MBPro (late 2013) 5 minutes later.

Nov 2, 2014 7:35 AM in response to Stevie_L

I have exactly the same issue, and when i want to answer an incoming call on my iphone6 on my imac, i can see the call coming in on my imac, but when i answer it by clicking on the message appearing in the right upper corner on the imac screen nothing happens. The call is not picked up and eventually disconnected by the iphone.

It looks like if any data send from the imac to the iphone wether it is voice information from the internal mic to the iphone or call answering information is not handled correctly. wether this is a setting or a bug i do not know

Apple, could you please help me out here.

jan

Nov 3, 2014 9:55 AM in response to duckdany

So, my mic finally started to work. I unplugged the mac from the wired connection (and turned off wireless). Shutdown the Mac down completely, reconnected the LAN cable and wireless, and restarted. And it worked. No clue why.

However, I would put the overall success rate of using FaceTime over the Mac via the iPhone at about 50%. I often get "try again" when trying to make a call or the Mac does not picking up calls when I hit 'accept'. Buggy. Very buggy.

Dec 5, 2014 10:43 AM in response to Gregorysreid

I've found a fix that worked for me on the Mac:

1. Make sure FaceTime App is not running
  2. Open Terminal
  3. type sudo killall coreaudiod
  4. Press Return
  5. Enter your computer's admin PW

What this is doing is forcing the CoreAudio system to completely shut down and restart. I was able to use Continuity with both my Cinema Display Mic and my Plantronics USB headset mic. I was even able to switch mics while on the call, using the video menu in FaceTime. Hope this helps! If you try this, please report back if it worked for your machine. I'm using an early 2009 MacPro tower 2.93 quad.

Internal Mic not working for phone calls in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.