Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did ios 8.1 fix wifi problems on iphone 6?

For all the people who have been experiencing wifi problems on iphone 6 (like me), have you noticed improvement with 8.1? I'm afraid to download it myself at this time.

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 8:09 AM

28 replies

Oct 21, 2014 9:47 AM in response to fifi1977

Nothing has changed. my wifi is still dropping off after update to 8.1. i contacted apple support today and they told me to restore my phone to the factory settings and check is it software or hardware error. seems like its software as wifi didn't work then either. i didn't have this kind of problem with ios 8 at all. don't know what to do. hope they will fix this asap or samsung here i come... it really frustrating.

Oct 22, 2014 11:10 PM in response to fifi1977

WIFI still dropping off on my IPAD 2 after updating to IOS 8.1 ............ still having problems when updating applications and sync. devices with pc. Badges still showing on app store icon.... updates done on devices not transferring to iTunes during sync and vice/versa..... IPAD 2, IPHONE 4S, IPHONE 5.

IPHONE 4 working perfectly on IOS 7 without any problem.

Oct 23, 2014 6:19 PM in response to fifi1977

My wifi speed dropped from 43 mbs to less then 1mbs and upload speed went from 10 mbs to 0 mbd.d, This is VERY frustrating. I even had to buy sn android phone because wifi does not work anymore after upgrade to 8.0 (things got better With 8,01) but now my wifi is as good as dead and ir very instable on my iphone 4s and ipad mini first gen. Also my keyboard freezes all the time after upgrading to 8.1 How can I go back to 8.01 ? this is ridiculous. I am very disappointed with Apple

Oct 25, 2014 10:27 AM in response to fifi1977

I've got iphone 5s..after updating to ios 8.1, nothing changed.. Wifi still doesn't working as it should, like before on ios 8.0.. I've tried some tips from internet (restoring phone, changing settings, restoring connectivity set. etc), waste of time..

Interesting thing is, that on ios 7.x.x, I don't have any problems..wifi was so fast without any issues.. so I think, problem is in software, not hardware.. A few of my friends with iphone 5/5s/6 have the same troubles like me and you people.. Yeah I know very interupting thing it is, I'm starting using my mobile data more than wifi.. what a ****.. I believe apple do something about this..

Oct 26, 2014 12:33 AM in response to misinko

Let me share a work around that has worked for me So far.

I Had an issue with my MacBook retina since I bought it last year and was not able to connect to 5Ghz high channels. Specifically on the 40mhz band, if I changed it to 20mhz it was fine, but half the speed for moving large data files around on my network. So I went back to the low channels like 44 but these frequencies don't pentrate my walls nearly as well and I have a week signal in the yard. The high channels I can walk 5 houses down and still get great speed.

Well the mac is in getting the wifi card replaced after this still was not fixed with yosimite, so I went back to the high channels at home. It's funny how all apple stores run Cisco wifi on high channels but only in 20mhz band or maybe they would see this issue also instead to recommend I buy a apple wifi router.

So today I picked up the iPhone 6 and nothing but issues on 5ghz. Tested 2.4 and seems stable. So then I changled the channle back from 157 to 44 amd now I'm finally able to complete a backup to the cloud without the wifi dropping. My iPad 2 mini retina is fine and the iPhone 5s seems fine on the high channels.

so I'm starting to think this is something again with high channels and 40mhz bandwidth.

oh before anyone mentions it yes I did all the standard scripting trouble shooting, resets, clean restores and bla bla bla.

So my request to all having issues is.

1. What channel are you running? If above 100 have you tried the lower end of the spectrum? If not can you and report back if it also helped you?

2. If your bandwidth on the channle is set to auto, or 40mhz can you try setting it to 20MHz and see if that helps and report back?

TiP some routers are able to run wireless N on 2.4Ghz and still uses the auto or 40Mhz bandwidth option in the setting. If your having these issues on a 2.4Ghz router try changing the bandwidth setting to 20Mhz like I did with the 5Ghz router. It might help you also. If it works please report back and let people know.

Im just looking for a pattern and sharing what helped me, then asking you to try and see if it helps you.

i Know, I know. This is not a fix. It's a temporary work around and apple still needs to fix this wifi stuff with the 5ghz range. It's a shame that great hardware and design is not starting to get a bad reputation just because of the software issues and not testing properly before releasing it.

if your reading this apple, it the mix of stable software, with hardware, simplicity and design that sells your product and was the reason I moved over years ago for that stable BSD kernel.i support enough to tech issues 70 hours a week and didn't want to deal with it at home. I admire the movement to bring everything together across all your hardware to be the same simplicity and the free OS updates for the Mac the last couple of years. But truth be told even junk unstable software is not worth being free. Please fire the guy responsible for this testing before release, and yes I have an idea on who this guys is also. Can you say apple maps?

Oct 27, 2014 8:41 AM in response to fifi1977

I Have the same issues with wifi as many said here. After updating to ios 8.1 wifi performance became very low. I can't even use wifi for chating in whatsapp! i'm experiencing a huge delay in outgoing and incoming messages in whatsapp while using wifi. If i switch wifi off and start using cellular data, then everything is fine! No delays at all. Same problems when using facebook, instagram, watching youtube, etc. So, this is a real software issue in ios 8.1.

P.S. Reseting network settings or any other settings does not help. Waiste of time.

Nov 4, 2014 3:36 AM in response to fifi1977

I'm not sure if this will be helpful to anyone else. But after installing iOS 8 on my iPhone 4s my wifi was greyed out. Wouldn't turn on. I tried everything and it didn't fix it, including rebooting several times and the hairdryer/freezer trick. Resetting network setting. Toggling data networking. Nothing fixed it until somthing happened. My phone died completely to where it shut itself off. When I plugged charger in and it hooted back up, wifi was working. Don't know why or how this worked for me. But try letting the phone die completely and shut itself down, your wifi just might be fixed when it comes back up. Good luck. Hope this is helpful.

Did ios 8.1 fix wifi problems on iphone 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.