Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vzw iPhone 6 (8.1) Stuck on "Extended"

Hey there! Hoping you can help..

iPhone 6 updated to 8.1 yesterday OTA, sometime during the night while the phone was performing its iCloud restore (long story, phone went into "connect to iTunes" mode during OTA, forced the restore through iTunes of the phone) the phone went into Extended for the network. The phone is currently on the Verizon network. There are 3 other iPhones in the house that use Verizon and don't have problems with service at all (or ever, for that fact).

Are there any quick solutions to this? I have suggested a hard reset, which didn't work. Next I was thinking a network reset via Settings. Any other tips?

Thank you!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 8:57 AM

4 replies

Oct 21, 2014 6:15 PM in response to iamCaseyFloyd

I tried resetting my network settings, restarting the phone multiple times, throwing the sim card in my backup Moto X and then back in the iPhone but nothing has fixed the Extended service. Found two more threads on the same issue, with a combined 49 "I have this problem too." I really hope that Apple and/or Verizon takes a serious look at this.

Re: iOS 8.1 always in extended coverage

8.1 update and cell service issues

Oct 21, 2014 6:56 PM in response to wigib2

From thread: Re: iOS 8.1 always in extended coverage

mauricefromtampaOct 21, 2014 6:44 PM Re: iOS 8.1 always in extended coverage
Re: iOS 8.1 always in extended coveragein response to phil1992

Here's the fix:

I had the same issues when I upgraded my iphone 6 to ios 8.1, I was able to chat with someone from Apple and they told me to do this: Go to settings-->Cellular-->Enable LTE--> choose Voice and Data

After doing that it switched from "Extended" back to "Verizon", here's his explanation:

"Okay, so in the process of Verizon activating their new LTE network, they’re retiring some towers, upgrading some towers, and transitioning others. It’s possible that they may have recently made changes in your area, or we’ve just tweaked the settings so that Verizon’s network looks primarily for LTE versus the CDMA network you had been on."

Hope that helps, it worked for me

Vzw iPhone 6 (8.1) Stuck on "Extended"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.