Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.1 always in extended coverage

I updated to iOS 8.1 earlier today and ever since then I have been on "extended" coverage instead of verizon. I went to places that I go to every day and I never had verizon and it has been about 9 hours. I did a factory reset but that didn't work. How do I fix this? I don't want to be roaming all the time which is what it seems that it is.

Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 20, 2014 7:20 PM

124 replies

Oct 21, 2014 4:57 PM in response to phil1992

I'm in the same position. Don't get me wrong I'm excited about having the camera roll back and everything, but is there a reason for me to be on extended?

After doing some research online it's looking like extended doesn't really matter, it's ust that Verizon can say "not our fault" if stuff acts weird... but I've had Verizon coverage for the last four years without it ever saying extended.

Oct 21, 2014 6:15 PM in response to phil1992

I tried resetting my network settings, restarting the phone multiple times, throwing the sim card in my backup Moto X and then back in the iPhone but nothing has fixed the Extended service. Found two more threads on the same issue, with a combined 49 "I have this problem too." I really hope that Apple and/or Verizon takes a serious look at this.

Vzw iPhone 6 (8.1) Stuck on "Extended"

8.1 update and cell service issues

Oct 21, 2014 6:44 PM in response to phil1992

Here's the fix:

I had the same issues when I upgraded my iphone 6 to ios 8.1, I was able to chat with someone from Apple and they told me to do this: Go to settings-->Cellular-->Enable LTE--> choose Voice and Data

After doing that it switched from "Extended" back to "Verizon", here's his explanation:

"Okay, so in the process of Verizon activating their new LTE network, they’re retiring some towers, upgrading some towers, and transitioning others. It’s possible that they may have recently made changes in your area, or we’ve just tweaked the settings so that Verizon’s network looks primarily for LTE versus the CDMA network you had been on."

Hope that helps, it worked for me

Oct 21, 2014 7:31 PM in response to Kyle T 987

Sorry it didn't work for you, hopefully there will be a permanent fix soon. Did a quick search and found that according to Verizon, only the 6 and 6+ are VoLTE compatible which may be why this didn't fix things for you. Has anyone talked to Verizon by chance? I can't stand dealing with them, maybe somebody has more patience than me.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/FeaturesandOptionalServices/apple-ad vanced-calling.html

I own an older model iPhone. Will it ever receive a software update to support Advanced Calling 1.0?

No. The only Apple devices that support Advanced Calling 1.0 are iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Oct 21, 2014 7:36 PM in response to phil1992

I have the same problem, just adding another voice. iPhone 5s 16GB. Verizon. OTA update to iOS 8.1 > I'm showing "Extended" (instead of "Verizon") as carrier/network ever since. My home and office are within a 3 mile radius, in the middle of town, in which I always have "Verizon LTE" next to my signal indicator. I have not left this same radius during or since the update. I have a colleague whose Verizon Wireless iPhone 5s, updated to iOS 8.1, correctly shows "Verizon".

Steps I've taken to troubleshoot (all unsuccessful): Turn WiFi off. Turn Bluetooth off. Turn LTE off. Turn Cellular off. All combinations of roaming settings enabled/disabled. Turn Airplane mode on. Soft reset (power cycle). Hard reset (Lock button+Home button power cycle). Pulled SIM card. "Reset Network Settings". Again, none of these things resolved the issue.

Chat session with Verizon Wireless Technical Support was futile and a nonsensical rabbit hole. I was immediately advised to backup > restore, "but I wouldn't reinstall iOS 8 until a new update comes out". I pointed out that those two statements were contradictory but that did not seem to phase the rep. Furthermore, I was told I would lose my text messages -- when I quoted the iTunes prompt that says "This will restore only the contacts, calendars, notes, text messages, and settings, not the iPhone firmware", the rep confidently replied, "Right. You are protected by the network." Wut.

iOS 8.1 always in extended coverage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.