Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone calling from Mac not working

iPhone continuity calling works from my iPad but not my Mac. Yosemite 10.10. iPhone 5 with iOS 8.1 Using same Apple ID, everything turned on in FaceTime and iPhone per instructions. Both on the same Wi-Fi network

Get this message: IPHONE NOT AVAILABLE, your iPhone and Mac must be on the same Wi-Fi network.

They are on the same network.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2017 12:08 AM

Hi, I have a MacBook Pro and use the calling feature too, recently I had changed the caller ID settings on my iPhone for FaceTime. That was it.

Later the problem started where I couldn't accept calls on my MacBook, as soon as I accept the call it fails. And also making calls from MBP always showed call failed.

I was receiving messages(both iMessage and SMS), only the calling feature was not working.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------

||THIS WORKED FOR ME||

Setting on iPhone-->Go to FaceTime-->Caller ID-->Should be Ticked on the Cellular number and not the email IDs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------

As soon as ticked on the phone number and tried making a call, I accepted it on my MBP and IT WORKED!!!

Also, I tried making a call from MBP using iPhone ("tried it again") it works.

No need to change anything in your MBP FaceTime preferences, no need to turn off and on FaceTime.

All this happened because I changed my FaceTime caller ID from my Phone Number to my iCloud email ID and since then the calls started getting failed.

As far as everything was working perfectly fine and stopped all of sudden after making changes on the FaceTime in your phone this method should work for you.

Give it a try.

96 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2017 12:08 AM in response to jmj900s

Hi, I have a MacBook Pro and use the calling feature too, recently I had changed the caller ID settings on my iPhone for FaceTime. That was it.

Later the problem started where I couldn't accept calls on my MacBook, as soon as I accept the call it fails. And also making calls from MBP always showed call failed.

I was receiving messages(both iMessage and SMS), only the calling feature was not working.

||THIS WORKED FOR ME||

Setting on iPhone-->Go to FaceTime-->Caller ID-->Should be Ticked on the Cellular number and not the email IDs

As soon as ticked on the phone number and tried making a call, I accepted it on my MBP and IT WORKED!!!

Also, I tried making a call from MBP using iPhone ("tried it again") it works.

No need to change anything in your MBP FaceTime preferences, no need to turn off and on FaceTime.

All this happened because I changed my FaceTime caller ID from my Phone Number to my iCloud email ID and since then the calls started getting failed.

As far as everything was working perfectly fine and stopped all of sudden after making changes on the FaceTime in your phone this method should work for you.

Give it a try.

Oct 21, 2014 9:22 AM in response to jmj900s

Verify one additional requirement that you did not specifically mention:

Make sure you are signed in using the same Apple ID on both the iPhone and your MBP

From Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity, most of which you already confirmed:

• Sign in to the same iCloud account on all your devices, including your Mac.
  • Your iPhone and your iPad or iPod touch need to use iOS 8 or later. Your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • All devices must be on the same Wi-Fi network.
  • All devices must be signed in to FaceTime using the same iCloud account. This means any device that shares your Apple ID will get your phone calls. Look below for instructions on how to turn off iPhone cellular calls.
  • Wi-Fi Calling needs to be off. Go to Settings > Phone. If you see Wi-Fi Calling, turn it off.

Oct 21, 2014 9:57 AM in response to jmj900s

I wish I could be of more help. It should work exactly as you describe. I was wondering if Bluetooth was also a requirement since Handoff uses BT for other Continuity functions, and there are specific hardware requirements for them as well, but I turned BT "off" and iPhone calling still worked.

I suspect the problem may lie with the way FaceTime is working on your Mac, since this feature is essentially an extension of FaceTime. Are you able to place and receive FaceTime calls? On the iPhone, swipe up from the home screen, turn "airplane mode" on, and then turn Wi-Fi back on. In that mode, you must be able to place and receive FaceTime calls to the iPhone for anything else to work. You can place a FaceTime call to yourself for troubleshooting purposes.

If that works and yet iPhone Continuity does not, all I can suggest is contacting Apple Support but their usual remedies are to restore the iPhone... etc.

Oct 21, 2014 10:03 AM in response to jmj900s

I had been having the same problem. It started working after I did the following:

1) open facetime

2) open preferences

3) uncheck the box "iphone cellular calls"

4) recheck the box "iphone cellular calls"

5) close preferences

Somehow, the number in that cellular calls box had gotten attached to a different number on my account. Hopefully this works for you as well.

Oct 21, 2014 1:45 PM in response to ngalang

Like many things I seem to have gotten this working but not for long. I clicked wi-fi sync for the phone off and on in iTunes. Closed iTunes and shut off the phone. I started iTunes and then restarted the phone. I was able to make one call from the MBP and now it fails every time. New error message "Call failed" but I've lost interest.

I fear OS X is getting more like Windows. Things used to just work with Apple. Not so much now. I will now assume iPhone calling is not a feature I will try to use. I've spent far too much time already.

Oct 23, 2014 12:01 PM in response to jmj900s

All this is correct with one big note.

I had the same problem as all of you. Hand off works with my iMac and my macbook air at home with my iPhone 5 on my home network. When I got to work with my macbook air and my iPhone 5, using my work network, everything worked except the phone calls from the mac. i was logged into the same network and bluetooth was on. What gives?

I called Applecare and we went through everything and we did a screen share and were both complexed as to why the cellular calls wouldn't work but texting and handoff did without a hitch... heres the solution I figured out.

while I was on the same network, we'll call it "worknetwork" my ip address and subnet mask were different on my phone.

my router at work was giving me a public ip address (99.111.x.x) as opposed to a local one (192.168.1.xxx) and the mask was different as well.

Log into your routers and look at your settings. Mine was set up incorrectly and never noticed. as a quick fix I opened up my iPhones wifi settings and clicked on the ℹ next to worknetwork and changed it from DHCP to Static and inputted all the correct numbers.

boom. worked first try.

Hope this helps.

Oct 26, 2014 6:23 AM in response to jmj900s

I had the same issue and spent a day searching and troubleshooting this. I finally (hopefully) found the answer for my problem and not sure if it works for all. I checked and recheck the settings and finally when I turn off FaceTime on my iPhone and turn on again, it did a re-activation and I am able to finally call from my MacBook Pro. But not sure if my solution will work for you.

Oct 27, 2014 1:01 PM in response to jmj900s

I have a similar problem – but only with one Mac. That is, making a call using my iPhone works very well from my iPad and my MBA – but whenever I try to make a call from my iMac, I get the message "iPhone not available: Your iPhone and Mac must be on the same Wi-Fi network" (my translation from Swedish). But the iMac is on the same Wi-Fi network as the MBA, the iPad and the iPhone – and it works well for connecting the MBA and the iPad for making phone calls. The problem must therefore lie with the iMac. I have tried everything that has been suggested here: checking/unchecking/checking all relevant boxes, making sure the same iCloud ID is used, etc. In fact, when I go to FaceTime > Settings, they look identical between my iMac and the MBA, and still I can only make calls from the latter. Any idea what the problem might be? (Naturally, the iMac uses Yosemite.)

Oct 27, 2014 1:07 PM in response to nonicoclolasos

There seems to be a number of problems with this whole iPhone/Mac connection. Mine have ranged from the mic on my mac not working, even though I can hear the other person just fine to the multiple 'Try Again' messages when trying to dial out from the mac. Some times the call works just fine, about 30%.

My phone is on the same wifi network, etc. It seems like there are a lot of bugs with this capability that have yet to be addressed. I do hope that they can fix the problems as the functionality is quite convenient.

iPhone calling from Mac not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.