Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flickering "Save As" dialogue screens in OS X Yosemite

Hi,
I've just updated to OS X Yosemite 10.10 on a MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2012 with 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 and Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB.

The "Save As" drop-down menu flickers in MS Office, Adobe CS. It did not do this before the installation of OS X Yosemite. I have updated those programmes to the latest versions and rebooted but the flickering still occurs.

I am running MS Office 2011 Version 14.4.5 and Adobe Creative Suite 6. In the screenshot below, the grey bar below the document view window flickers and it is difficult to select both the location and the document name to save.

Any help would be appreciated.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 10:18 AM

33 replies

Oct 25, 2014 2:16 PM in response to GrantusM

There is also a significant amount of lag when saving, with delays in being able to choose a document name and location to save in. Half the time, I am not able to alter the name or location of the file, which is necessary when saving to a backup device.

Microsoft has not been helpful, so I'm depending on Apple to address this bug in their OS. It happens clear across MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite, though not in Adobe Acrobat Pro, for some reason.

I've taken a video of it but do not have the option to add it here.

Please help!

Oct 25, 2014 3:24 PM in response to GrantusM

Hello GrantusM,

I have the same with the Microsoft Office suite and Graphic Converter 9 software. Other applications (Apple and third party) apparently do not suffer from this bug.

During the flickering the application is using a lot of CPU time, this may also explain the delays.

For me two work arounds helped:

1) Choose a non-cover-flow layout

2) Close the dialog box and reopen it again. Then the flickering is gone also.

I send feedback to Apple to solve this problem, because it is not limited to one application developer. Maybe it is related to the GPU, I have a Mac Mini with a i7 processor with HD4000 GPU, just like your MacBook Pro.

Gerard

Oct 25, 2014 7:18 PM in response to ggoorden

Hello, Gerard,

Thanks very much - it is an effective work-around, although I see this as a deeper problem, which makes me feel a bit uncertain about this update to the OS, and makes me wonder what other bugs are lurking that might compromise the system when I am relying on it the most. I do not like bugs when I have deadlines to meet.

I would think something this obvious would have been worked-out in the Beta.

Your suggestion doesn't solve the root cause, but I really appreciate the fact that it eliminates the symptoms, as it does save me some time for the present.

I do hope that Apple will sort this bit of coding and issue a patch or upgrade that addresses it.

Many thanks, once again.

Nov 2, 2014 2:46 PM in response to GrantusM

Microsoft word Lagging and flickering menu is not the only issue i have. Same things happen when I try to save something through photoshop and many more program. I have two laptops and my Macbook pro 13 (early 2011) Isnt working properly anymore. You may think thats an old computer but it was working OK before the update.

Nov 20, 2014 2:31 AM in response to catrbmd

Dear catrbmd,

In the open / save dialog you can change the layout of the representation of the files by selecting one of the options at the top of the window. (see screen dump below) The right most one I called Cover Flow, because it was named that originally in iTunes to browse through the covers of your albums. This later was carried over to the Finder and I use it a lot, especially for directories with lots of pictures in it. Unfortunately this also shows the flickering problem from within some applications. All other modes do not have this problem.

Unfortunately Apple didn't fix the problem in the 10.10.1 update of earlier this week. 😟

Regards,

Gerard

User uploaded file

Flickering "Save As" dialogue screens in OS X Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.