Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.1: creating new mail asks for icloud password

On my iPhone I have set up an iCloud account for contacts, calender and all the icloud goodies and my old google account for mail. There is no mail address assigned in the icloud account.

Since the update to iOS 8.1 I get polled for the icloud password when

- trying to write a new mail. I can cancel the password request and writing and sending mail works nevertheless

- activating airdrop for contacts only. Regardless of entering the password or not airdrop does not get activated.

It was working in iOS 8.0.2 (at least the mail part). Any idea what causes the password requests?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 21, 2014 11:53 AM

34 replies

Oct 22, 2014 5:54 AM in response to justtrying

Removing icloud from the Setting, booting and re-enabling did work for me. Afterwards I do not get a password prompt in airdrop -> Contacts only anymore as well as when writing a new email.

Disabling/Reenabling contact sync in icloud setting did not solve the issue. Actually after disabling the contact sync the contacts where gone and kept gone even after booting and reenabling the contact sync. Removing the icloud account from the iPhone and adding it back after a reboot solved the issue.

Oct 23, 2014 12:52 AM in response to justtrying

I'm having exactly the same problem as Justtrying, also on an iPhone6 running iOS 8.1. However, justtrying's solution shown above has not worked for me.

I don't use iCloud for email either, but every time I click to create a new email message I get a prompt/popup to "Sign in to iCloud". I can cancel this and email works fine. Why is mail.app even trying to contact iCloud when I don't use it for email?

I also get the same message when trying to enable Airdrop for 'Contacts Only'. I've tried a number of things (shown below) which sometimes fix the problem for five or ten minutes, but it always returns after a while.

So far I've tried the following without success:

- Signing out of iCloud and iTunes & AppStore / Restarting phone / Signing back in to iCloud and iTunes and AppStore

- Selecting Settings>General>Reset> Reset All Settings

- Disabling iCloud Backup > Reboot > Enable iCloud Backup

- Deleting all Email/Calendar/Contacts accounts in Settings>General>Mail, Contacts, Calendar

- Restoring iPhone through iTunes. I've tried this with two different backups. Both of these backups were created before the problem started in iOS 8.1

If I sign out of iCloud, and leave it signed out I can create new email without the popup. However, I really need, and want, to use the various functions of iCloud so that's not really a longterm solution.

Oct 26, 2014 3:39 PM in response to Scoobs

I'm still having this issue. Escalated to Level 2 AppleCare support and waiting on them to come back to me. The list of things I've tried without success is growing so I've updated my previous list below:

So far I've tried the following without success:

- Signing out of iCloud and iTunes & AppStore / Restarting phone / Signing back in to iCloud and iTunes and AppStore

- Selecting Settings>General>Reset> Reset All Settings

- Disabling iCloud Backup > Reboot > Enable iCloud Backup

- Deleting all Email/Calendar/Contacts accounts in Settings>General>Mail, Contacts, Calendar

- Restoring iPhone through iTunes. I've tried this with 2different backups. Both backups were created before the problem started in iOS 8.1

- Restored iPhone and set up as a new phone. Skipped all prompts to log in to iCloud during setup. Then added email accounts and logged into iCloud - After five minutes the popup started again

- Restored iPhone and set up as a new phone. Skipped all prompts to log in to iCloud during setup. Then added email accounts and LOGGED INTO A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ICLOUD ACCOUNT. Same problem.

- So, that means that it can't be a problem with my data - Setting up as a new phone didn't resolve it

- Can't be a problem with my iCloud account - as the same problem happens with a different iCloud account

As I mentioned before, the only way I've found to stop the popup asking for iCloud Password (when I create a new mail or enable Airdrop for Contacts only) is to sign out of iCloud and leave it switched off.

Note: When I sign out of iCloud / Reboot the phone / Sign back into iCloud it can sometimes take 10 or 15 minutes before the popup will start to appear again, which makes it difficult to troubleshoot when you're on the phone to AppleCare. However, a quick way I've found to replicate the issue is to first enable airplane mode to cut all network connections - then try to send a new email. This causes the popup to immediately appear for me. Then it happens every time until I sign out of iCloud.

Nov 5, 2014 8:27 AM in response to phuemmer

My case is still with engineering but I have a few new things to share:

1. Attempting to enable AirDrop for "Contacts Only" will also result in prompts for the iCloud password.

2. An iPad 2 using the same credentials and running 8.1 does not experience this issue. I tried a fresh install and enabling iCloud after setup was complete instead of using my backup to see if I could get it to show the password prompts but it just doesn't seem to have the same issue.

3. Special cases - maybe there's some similarity here for all of us:

* T-Mobile customer (using new SIM that came with iPhone 6 plus)

* Phone is unlocked

* Former "MobileMe" customer so some of those mail settings are still tied to my account - (I can choose to use a @me.com address).

* Using iCloud Photo Library (Beta)

* Turned on Family Sharing (I have since turned it off)

* Not subscribed to iTunes Match

* Using Find my Friends

Nov 5, 2014 5:31 PM in response to phuemmer

HI, just found this thread, so adding my two cents.

Basically, although I'm experiencing the same problem, there are few other similarities:

ipad mini, wifi only, ios 8.1

family sharing on

not using Find My Friends

using Photo Library and iCloud Drive

This is merely one of many annoyances introduced with 8.1, but right now it's among the most irritating.

Nov 8, 2014 8:35 PM in response to justtrying

I Have the same problem and like others have tried signing out and then back in to iCloud with no success.

My setup : IPhone 6 on iOS 8.1 , unlocked with original T-Mobile sim used with that network. No family sharing, no iCloud mail used, but ever other iCloud function enabled, as I use GMail exclusively. Not using the beta of photo library...

My iPad Air 2 works absolutely fine with the same settings.

Apple what are we supposed to do next ?!

Nov 10, 2014 4:55 AM in response to justtrying

I Tried all the steps that have been explained here in this forum even tried removing iCloud account rebooting Rhiannon and now I get prompts on mail I drop and just about anything that requires me to use my cloud account

none one of the steps work. You end up having to put your password again.

THere was was a thread that said to backup using iTunes and restore. That didn't work stayed up till 3am and that didn't solve this.

LOoks ops like a total start over is the only solution and this is unacceptable.

THis his seams like it was introduced in 8.1 but I can't go back that far doesn't seam to matter what backup I use to restore to 8.1 or 8.1.1 it still promoting for your password when restore.

APPLE please fix this.

ITs it's either one of two things.

1. Restore hasn't finished

2. Backup got corrupted

3. Or something introduced in 8.1

iOS 8.1: creating new mail asks for icloud password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.