Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite WiFi bug

Hi,

I have noticed a weird WiFi bug with OS X Yosemite. This has never happened in any previous OS X that I have used.

I have a Early 2013 Macbook Pro with Retina display 13 and I updated to Yosemite a day after it launched.

I usually do not shut down my laptop and just keep it in sleep. After the update, sometimes when the laptop wakes up from

sleep WiFi is completely switched off. On trying to turn it on I get the following message in console:

22/10/14 1:41:11.000 pm kernel[0]: ARPT: 1911.087562: wl0: _wlc_ioctl: dead chip, off[0] bar0[0xffffffff]

Upon restart the WiFI icon becomes a grey icon with a cross mark and says either "No hardware installed" or

"WiFi not configured".

The only solution I have found till now is an SMC reset. But with the frequency of this happening is quite high

and is frustrating to always shutdown and do an SMC reset. Is anyone else facing similar issues? And

does anyone know of a fix without a restart ?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 1:28 AM

48 replies

Nov 6, 2014 6:02 AM in response to vindicadi198

I have a similar issue on my MacBook Pro 15'' mid 2012; only thing, this started BEFORE I upgraded (actually I performed a clean installation) to Yosemite. Sometimes other messages, still very similar to the one you posted, appear in the console.

In my case the wifi chip randomly goes off during normal use; the status bar icon doesn't notice that the chip is gone but will not display any network. Going to System Preferences shows me that the chip is off and cannot be switched on. Wi-fi works again after restarting OR putting the system to sleep (I have to wait until it loses power anyway).

My first guess is that this is a hardware failure; I noticed that my wifi chip loses power immediately (printing the said messages in the console) when I adjust the angle of the laptop screen. Since I believe that wifi chip is located just beneath the screen (in a movable part) I guess that the connectors might randomly gain or lose contact when moved if they have not been properly secured. On the other side there is the possibility that both our chips are actually broken in some weird way so that they decide themselves when to go off.

Still, I may be wrong, if anyone has a better explanation I'd be happy to hear it!

Nov 6, 2014 6:09 AM in response to gianlucaFromTrieste

The symptoms are quite similar to what happens with me as well. WiFi goes off randomly during normal operation for me as well. I too was afraid of a hardware failure like you are predicting ( that was actually the first thought that came to my mind when I saw those messages in the log and was worried that I would have to get it replaced).

But after some experience I have ruled that out for my case. Consistently after WiFi goes off, without any change in the screen angle or any physical configuration of the laptop, performing a SMC and PRAM reset immediately brings the WiFi back up. This seems to be more of a firmware issue rather than a hardware for me at least.

There was this post http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2jwah7/psa_yosemite_wifi_issues_list_of_p ossible_fixes/ which mentions a list of possible fixes, but none of them have worked for me. I tried changing the kext as well to no success. I have since reverted back to the one that came with the release build of Yosemite and the problem still persists.

Dec 23, 2014 7:17 AM in response to vindicadi198

I have begun to see the same behavior you describe from my MacPro (cylinder) since upgrading to Yosemite. In fairness, I don't think I used the wi-fi under the previous OS very often -- the only reason I found it was turning itself off was when I started to use the Maps functionality in Yosemite, which requires wi-fi to work (which seems weird to me). The symptoms you describe are the same though... wi-fi turns itself off, and no clicking of anything on the status icon or networks prefs can make it come back on.

About two weeks ago, I decided to get to the bottom of this, as rebooting my Mac to turn on wi-fi was getting a little ridiculous. I wrote a script that does a "dig", forced across my wi-fi adapter (en2, in my case) every five minutes, and prints the results in a terminal window. Whenever that request fails, an error is noted (from the script). The script then turns off the Airport card, waits five seconds, turns on the Airport card, waits five seconds, brings en2 down, waits five seconds, and then brings en2 up. From there the dig loop begins again. This has caught the issue twice over the last week or so (this last time yesterday with the ARPT dead card message in the logs), and both times was able to recover the card without booting the machine, or me even having to do anything.

The five second delays are so that it's easier to correlate things in the log with the steps the script is taking. In a perfect world, I'd insert messages from the script into the logs for even better correlation.

The script will run on a regular ol' Mac -- and I'm happy to share. I only added one thing -- gdate. It's impossible (from what I can tell) to format the messages displayed in the terminal window the same way as lines cut/pasted from the logs, as the native date command doesn't have millisecond precision like is displayed in the logs when you cut and paste log messages. I wanted to be able to know for certain what was happening when.

Hope this info helps, and again, I'll be happy to share my script, but it's not really much more than what I described above.

Since I can turn the card off and back on from the script, I'm inclined to think this is not a hardware problem, and more something to do with drivers, etc.

My two cents. YMMV.

Colin

Jan 1, 2015 10:24 AM in response to vindicadi198

I'm having the same issues, and have tried all of these solutions. I have wondered if it was hardware, but it does not seem to be related to moving my computer at all (and coincided directly with my upgrade to 10.10.1 from Mavericks). I have tried all of these fixes, as well as a clean install; some things have worked for a few days, but the problem keeps returning. My connection will hang in the middle of loading a page, turning it off and on will make the icon act weird (showing full bars although system sees wifi status as "off"; turning it on does nothing). A reboot will sometimes fix it, or sometimes come up with an "x" in the wifi icon, saying "Hardware not Installed". Sometimes I have to reset SMC or PRAM. Sometimes I have to reboot several times. Then it will maybe work for a few minutes, a few hours, or if I'm lucky a day or two.

Jan 1, 2015 10:36 AM in response to Eric Root

I have:

trashed my SystemConfiguration folder

reset SMC and PRAM

created a new network location and reordered services (and renewed DHCP lease)

done various things with Keychain iCloud sync (turned off)

turned off bluetooth (not really a feasible option to leave this off always; didn't help anyway though)

kept to using 2.4 networks (also not really a good solution; again, didn't help anyway)

fresh install

most of the above again

I don't think the AWDL/Airdrop solution applies to my older mac (late 2011 Macbook pro), and I draw the line at downloading a third party kext to replace the stock one.

Jan 28, 2015 12:07 PM in response to MoJoRo

I updated yesterday to 10.10.2, and had the issue occur again this morning. I removed the Wifi service, rebooted, and added it back to get it working again. Maybe that rebuilt my preferences/configurations in a way that will fix it, but I am not entirely sure. It sometimes takes 3 or more days to happen again, so I will post here if the problem occurs, or if a week goes by without it (whichever comes first...).

Jan 29, 2015 9:04 AM in response to ColinWright

Same here with no script, sometimes I get 4-5 days, sometimes 10 minutes... My most reliable way to get it back up has been to go straight to Network preferences, where it will say WiFi is "off" (even though shows full bars in the menu icon); if I "make service inactive" and click "apply", my computer completely freezes for 10 seconds and then shuts down. Turn it back on and wifi is right as rain for a while, until it isn't....

Jan 30, 2015 8:59 AM in response to MoJoRo

Well, sometime overnight, my wifi flaked out again. Same symptoms as before -- icon shows connected (although none of the rest of the drop down seems to indicate that), and the network prefs panel indicates it's turned off. I clicked the "Turn Wi-Fi On" button from prefs, and nothing happens, aside from the icon changing state to show that wi-fi is indeed turned off. I started my script up, and it was able to recover the wifi card with no impact to the machine. I watched the prefs panel while this was going on, and it correctly reflects the card being on, and now connected to the wifi network.

So... it appears that the script is still needed in my environment to ensure the wifi continues to work correctly on 10.10.2. Not the news I was hoping to report. I need to dig into the logs to see if I see anything weird overnight, and I'll report that if I see anything strange.

Bummer.

Yosemite WiFi bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.