Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't paste an image copied from Safari directly into Keynote. Get the word Text instead of the image. What is wrong?

I'm Currently Using OS X Yosemite 10.10 and Keynote 6.5

Prior to this I used OS X Mavericks and the Previous Keynote Version

I want to copy an image into Keynote from Safari. In Mavericks it used to work as follows:

Step 1: In Safari; Press ctrl and click on image; Select Copy Image

Step 2: In Keynote; Press cmd V; Image used to appear in Keynote and be re-sized to fit slide

Now, in Yosemite, when trying to paste the image, just a text box appears with the word “Text” inserted.

I would like the image to appear in the Keynote slide, not the word Text.

Do I have something wrong in settings / preferences?

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 5:51 AM

Drag and drop the image in Safari directly onto the Keynote slide

20 replies

Nov 3, 2014 1:33 PM in response to Cunninar

This is a bug which was first introduced with Keynote 6, then was fixed in one of the incremental releases. It suddenly popped up again in 6.5 with the release of Yosemite. It's annoying, and doesn't bode well for Apple's quality control that this same bug would pop up in two separate major releases, but there is an easy work-around. Copy and pasting images works just fine from Chrome into Keynote.

It almost seems like someone committed an incorrect build for a portion 6.5 and it caused this same bug to re-emerge.

I know people are saying to use drag and drop, this isn't helpful when running on a small screen with full-screen apps.

Nov 3, 2014 3:09 PM in response to Gary Scotland

That's great that you do and I am genuinely glad this works for you. I enjoy the full screen experience and have never cared for drag and drop on smaller screens - it doesn't fit my workflow. Full screen apps and the multi-touch swipe gestures to move between apps (and before real full-screen, command-tab and maximized windows) do fit the way I work.

Pointing out this is a bug doesn't negate your workflow as valid. Describing it's impact on workflows such as mine merely shows why this bug is impacting my productivity (though, not by much because, as I said, I found a solution in the interim). At any rate, I hope this bug is squashed quickly, and then I can copy/paste and you can do side by side windows and drag and drop and we will both be happy.

Can't paste an image copied from Safari directly into Keynote. Get the word Text instead of the image. What is wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.