Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhotos has lost my Photos when upgrading to Yosemite

When I upgraded to Yosemite like many people I have seen on forums there was a issue with upgrading the iPhoto library when upgrading to 9.6. Finally it looked like it had worked but now all of my photos do not appear in iPhoto. The files seem to be there still as the iPhoto library file is still1.26TB in size (i have a lot of photos). I have tried doing a full rebuild of the Library but it did nothing. I also purchased iPhoto Library Manager but this does not help either. Please can anyone help?

I am using iPhoto 9.6, OSX 10.10 (Yosemite) on a iMac (27-inch, Late 2013). The Library is stored on a "My Book Thunderbolt Duo", 8TB in raid 1 configuration.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB Ram

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 4:19 AM

26 replies

Oct 22, 2014 4:41 AM in response to petebloke

What exactly are you seeing. when you launch iPhoto? An apparently empty library? Does iPhoto one your library or a new, empty different one? When you click onto the title "iPhoto" of the iPhoto window, you will see the path to the library that is currently open.

If iPhoto is simply opening a different library, it cannot access your library. Is your external drive correctly formatted as MacOS Extended (Journaled)? Earlier versions of iPhoto did not check the filesystem, but iPoto 9.6 does.

Nov 1, 2014 1:54 PM in response to janjan5uk

Download iPhoto Library Managerand use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Nov 14, 2014 2:56 PM in response to petebloke

Hi ALL,

Lost all of my photos also. However managed to retrieve them my Going to Finder/photos/ then right click iPhoto and the is an option which says 'show package content' click that, and it will bring up a whole lot of folders including one that will say 'ORIGINAL' inside that folder you will find Folders based on the years in which you uploaded your images. For me i just dragged the whole folder to my desk top, and now have all my photos back 😀

Hope this helps. All the best retrieving your photos.

Kind Regards

Kris

Dec 2, 2014 7:12 PM in response to petebloke

I was struggling with the same issue and upon reading Kristian's instructions I was able to retrieve my photos.

If you were backing up your Mac before the upgrade you are in luck:

• plug in backup drive - you will need to select a backup date a few days prior to upgrade
  • via Finder - ensure you have selected 'Column View' format - makes it easier to navigate folders
  • select main backup folder
  • your iMac drive folder
  • select date (a few days prior to upgrade)
  • select main folder and navigate the following path
  • Users > 'folder associated to your user account' > Pictures > 'hold down control key and right-click' on iPhoto Library(must have folder icon - if not - choose a year prior and continue to do so until icon appears for iPhoto Library) > 'select' Show Package Contents > Originals
  • If all goes well - you will see your album folders organized by year

Special thanks to Kristian for saving the day!!!

Best of luck to you - keep me posted!

Magicman37

iPhotos has lost my Photos when upgrading to Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.