Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi Problems with Yosemite

When I upgraded to Yosemite for some reason my wifi was messing up. I would show that it was connected but when ever I would go onto safari and or something that needed wifi it would just load. It would not load anything on safari. The only way that I can get wifi is to restart my Mac Book Air. But it is not a guaranteed fix it cuts out all the time. But it says its connected I am confused and frustrated at this because I don't want to keep on restarting my computer. Please Help me.

Nick Garberina

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 10:45 AM

30 replies

Oct 23, 2014 9:08 AM in response to garberina

There's something seriously wrong with Yosemite and WiFi. I have had terrible connectivity issues with WiFi since I upgraded to Yosemite. I doesn't seem to matter whether the security is 802.1x or PSK or Open, same issues with all. Typically my laptop drops off from the network altogether, or seems to be connected but no traffic passes. I had zero WiFi issues until I upgraded to Yosemite! This is REALLY bad, Apple. People use these computers for work, and this seriously interrupts with that.

Fix the Yosemite WiFi issues, Apple!!!

Oct 23, 2014 2:41 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

This problem is driving me nuts. I am not a computer guru although not a total moron, but I don't want to have to read or understand geek speak to get this problem resolved. Oh how I regret having upgraded and not just stuck with Mavericks which worked like a charm from the word go. I work from home and this situation of my internet connection dropping every two minutes and my having to go up to the wifi "fan" on the menu bar of my monitor to turn it on and off and on and off repeatedly is sending my nuts.

The first two days I stupidly kept rebooting and in so doing losing all the history states on my working Photoshop files (that is how I earn my living Apple) and that only seemed to work for maybe an hour if I was lucky. This alternate method might save my working files, but I literally have to do this every five to ten minutes at least.

Since based on the complaints it is not an isolated incident, why can't Apple come out with a fix for this please? What is taking so long? I wish I could go back to using Mavericks. PS - This post could not even be completed as the wi-fi cut out mid post.

Oct 23, 2014 3:02 PM in response to garberina

I'm having similar issues. I am "connected" to the internet and I can access some sites but not Facebook Google or Tumblr to name a few and I have no app access whatsoever. App store, games, Google drive nothing. I spent an hour on the phone with Apple and they are just as confused as I am. They need to figure this out because I have half a laptop right now and I'm not impressed.

Oct 23, 2014 3:24 PM in response to Chellerzzz

Once I am online, I can access any and all websites. (I use Chrome) but I have to keep checking my iPad constantly while working on my Mac in the event that any work related email comes in that needs immediate attention. I just counted, and in the space of 5 minutes, I had to turn the wifi on and off 10 times!!! Again - I do not usually shut my computer down when I am working (that Photoshop history state thing) but now I have no choice with the hope that at least for maybe if I am lucky an hour in the morning, it will work uninterrupted.

I am begging Apple on my hands and knees to come up with a solution for this. This is not a matter of just not being able to play video games, or look at Youtube, I need the internet to work with and ergo pay ye olde bills at the end of the month, and it is definitely a Yosemite issue. I have gone through all the necessary trouble shooting and ruled out all the usual suspects. Either fix it, or (and I hope somebody at Apple is monitoring these forums) give me back my Mavericks.

Oct 23, 2014 4:29 PM in response to garberina

OK, I have a solution via one of these threads that FINALLY worked for me. Everything is up, including Safari, and speeds are great. I have a Macbook Pro with Retina Display and I'm connecting to a public network at my workplace:

1. Go to system preferences

2. Go to network

3. Hit the little cog icon

4. Choose "set service order" and move wifi to the top.

5. Press Apply

I forget if I restarted. If you don't see a quick improvement, do that.

Bingo!

Wifi Problems with Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.