Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite is slow on a mid 2011 iMac i7 2600

Hi,

I have Yosemite setup on an iMac mid 2011, i7 2600, 256 SSD, 16 GB ram. Plenty of free disk space.

Interface is painfully slow. Even while typing it lags. switching desktops lags as well. Photoshop is slow as ****.

Same Yosemite works great on 2012 Air 😟

PLEASE UPDATE!!!!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 1:16 PM

17 replies

Oct 22, 2014 1:26 PM in response to Rifenbeiker

It was an update from Mavericks. Same kind of update I did on the Air as well.

My GPU is AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB in case this might be the culprit (initially the iMac was an i5 but I swaped its brain 😁)

Also, just closed down some apps in the menu bar and system seems a bit faster. Will continue investigation. I love my Mac and I always loved how buttery smooth is OSX (and iOS) and i'd like to keep things this way 🙂

Oct 22, 2014 3:38 PM in response to XSerban

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen. Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take one of the actions that you're having trouble with. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Nov 19, 2014 6:09 PM in response to XSerban

There seems to be a problem specifically with this iMac model (mid-2011) and Yosemite. My machine was all around slower after upgrading until I found this article from Parallels describing the problem. I ran the trace_intr tool from this page and my machine was indeed having too many interrupts from

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform.

The solution for me was to do the following:

1) Open a terminal

2) Enter and run the following command, entering your password when prompted:

sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0xd4e"

3) Restart the computer

After restarting, there was an obvious difference in terms of UI responsiveness all around. I also verified using trace_intr that the interrupts were no longer happening.

I'm no expert on OS X internals, but I assume this kernel parameter enables a debugging mode that disables the ACPI interrupts that cause this behaviour.

Nov 21, 2014 10:53 AM in response to danielpgross

This worked perfectly, or at least perfectly enough. The trace program identified the same issue: millions of interrupts coming from the ACPI driver. Performance is much better now. Not Mavericks-like, but much better. I can even quantify it with (the albeit a bit old) Xbench:

Hardware: Mid 2011 iMac, 2.7 GHz Core i5 w/ 16 GB RAM, Radeon 6770M w/ 512 MB RAM, 1 TB SATA HDD

Mavericks overall score: 228.26

Yosemite pre-nvram fix overall score: 82.42

Yosemite post-nvram fix overall score: 117.89

Yosemite showed a massive hit to CPU, RAM, 2D GPU, and 3D GPU performance. After the above fix was applied, the CPU and RAM performance hits disappeared, and the 2D and 3D performance recovered about half way to their original scores. Reducing transparency has almost no effect.

A coworkers 2010 13" MacBook Pro showed no ACPI driver issues and no improvement with the additional boot parameter added, so I can confirm that this fix looks to be specific to the 2011 iMacs (which have certainly had more than their fair share of issues). It seems with pre-2012 laptops, usable performance with a 2nd display connected is a thing of the past, as they seem to be fine with just the built-in display.

It's now up to Apple to fix their ACPI driver for those out there uncomfortable with the command line, and hopefully optimize their graphics drivers further in future updates. My 2008 MacBook Pro has a lot of life left in it...or did until I put Yosemite on it. I've reverted to Mavericks on these 2 machines once already, and had hoped 10.10.1 would do the trick, but it hasn't.

Yosemite is slow on a mid 2011 iMac i7 2600

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.