Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible to downgrade to Pages 5.2?

I upgraded to Yosemite, and then Pages 5.5. Now I discover that if I save a document, no one in my company who is still on Mavericks can open it. Since most of our company cannot upgrade to Yosemite yet (due to major bricking issues that happen with Profiles managed by Mavericks OS X Server), we're in a nasty situation. Is there any way to downgrade Pages to 5.2? My only other option is restore from a pre-Yosemite time capsule backup, and lose several days of work......

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 1:51 PM

Pages v5.5 is required for Yosemite, and there is no downgrade to v5.2.2. However, you have three potential alternatives:

• Export to Pages ’09
  • Export to Word .docx (or .doc)
  • Run Pages ’09 v4.3 on Yosemite
14 replies

Oct 22, 2014 1:55 PM in response to VikingOSX

I did the export to '09, however that appears to have lost a great deal of formatting and images.

MS Word basically means our whole company would have to move to using MS Word, since advanced formatting/formulas don't translate back and forth.

And Pages '09 won't open our existing hundreds (or thousands) of Pages 5.2 documents in DropBox.

I'm really frustrated that there wasn't any clear warning that 5.5 wasn't compatible with 5.2, and that 5.5 wouldn't be released for Mavericks:( Ugh. I guess I'll have to restore from a pre-Yosemite backup:(

Dec 22, 2014 3:58 PM in response to VikingOSX

I'M also having HUGE issues sharing documents created in latest Pages with previous editions, and also with myriad windows formats - I need to share things with fellows students and lecturers at Uni, whilst retaining all formatting, fonts, etc.... It's doing my head in - any sign of an update or easy workaround that doesn't involve sending multiple formats to everyone and hoping they can decipher at least something??

Jan 14, 2015 2:55 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Just got a new MacBookAir for one of my students and guess what: whatever she writes in Pages cannot be opened by me and any other of my students. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrott? Are they trying to sink Pages deliberately? I hate Word with a passion and I switched to Pages in its first incarnation directly from MacWritePro. I feel however, that I will not be able to justify Pages as our word processor anymore. The last usable update was in 2009!

With all the issues still haunting Yosemite, there is no way that we can upgrade the other Macs yet. Making Pages a freeware does not mean they don't have to think of their customers' needs when developing it. I suggest to switch to two-year OS upgrade intervals and to getting things right instead.

Okay, I'm seriously ticked off. This means I will trade in the MBA and not replace any hardware any time soon (I'm running 22 Macs here, 8 were up for replacement). Happy?

Possible to downgrade to Pages 5.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.