Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air (mid 2012, 13") charging very slow after update to Yosemite

Hi everyone,

3 days ago, after the update to Yosemite, my Macbook Air (mid 2012, 13") battery (with around 130 charging cycles) started to charging very slow. I mean, very very slow. In this moment I have 34% charged, MagSafe plugged in and 20 hours (!!!) of estimated time in order to fully charge.

Here's the screenshot:

User uploaded file

When MagSafe is not plugged in the battery drain is normal. It just takes very long time in order to charge.

I tried to use another charger (from a Macbook Pro Retina) but the problem is still there.

Anyone has experienced the same issue or have an idea on how to solve this?

Thanks for any help!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 3:22 PM

31 replies

Oct 23, 2014 3:35 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi, thanks for you reply.

I tried with different outlets and I have also did two SMC reset. In addiction I have ran an Apple Hardware Test (AHT) and no issues were detected.

Unfortunately the problem is still there and no idea on how to solve it.

I want to underline that everything started after the upgrade to Yosemite...

Any other possible solutions?

Thanks.

Nov 10, 2014 6:22 AM in response to beppe86bs

my hard drive had a complete crash just a few days after submitting my previous reply, requiring a new replacement drive.

I don't know if it was related, but my computer is under a year old, and problems with stalling and heating began appearing immediately after updating to Yosemite.

However, since replacing the drive, and running Yosemite on the new drive, my computer now charges extremely quickly.

Nov 12, 2014 10:12 AM in response to togetherness

I have a 13" mid-2012, and I've had the same issues. Originally I thought it was my charger/magsafe which wasn't connecting properly as a different charger seemed to work fine (showing the green light on the end of the cable connect to the computer). What I've noticed though is that if I press and wiggle the magsafe connector until the green light comes on, the battery icon goes from white to black, and when I let go of the charger everything is fine. The other thing, when I connect my cable, the screen becomes brighter (as per my energy settings). To me this should mean that the computer realizes it's connected, but the system doesn't acknowledge it for some reason. Tried resetting the SMC, but that didn't accomplish anything. Would love a fix to this.

Nov 24, 2014 10:11 AM in response to beppe86bs

Update: I performed a "clean" Mac Os X Yosemite Installation in order to understand if the problem was linked to a corrupted update from the old OS.

Result: The problem is still there. Battery doesn't charge most of the time and remain between 1 and 5%. Sometimes reach around 30% and then stuck at that point. Sometimes is instantly shutting down when I remove the Mag Safe.

Furthermore my mac is very very slow at booting, normal using and shutting down.

I'm very disappointed that nobody at Apple has a solution for this 😟

Nov 24, 2014 2:52 PM in response to beppe86bs

Yes same happens to me, it charged now to 63% and got stuck. It took 7hrs to get to 63%. Apple should stop releasing pre mature software. Updated my iPhone 5 to 8.1 and the phone has touch sensitivity issues now. To much time spent on trouble shooting their mistakes. Yosemite or iOS8 are beta versions rather then stable releases. But who cares if I vent here no one at apple support gives a sh@#$ anyways.

Grrrrr

Jan 11, 2015 5:46 AM in response to beppe86bs

I have a early 2014 macbook air and I have had the exact same problems that everyone has listed here... First i talked to online support and they had me go in and get a replacement charger which didn't help. Tried SMC reset and PRAM reset, and nothing. Went through a lot of steps and have been and out of the apple store with no success. I went into the apple store and tried to get help and they told me nothing was physically wrong with the computer. They had me erase the entire hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch. The problem still persisted. Finally i got mad and said screw it and erased everything and loaded from the internet recovery which to my surprised loaded the original mavericks os. Did the firmware updates and viola fixed, lasted a few days with no issues and felt like i had a brand new machine... but then i foolishly reinstalled yosemite thinking this time would be different and the problem came back again almost immediately... been charging for 7 hours and moved 15% but it still says 20 hours to charge. it has to be the Yosemite OS!

(Which really ***** cuz i really liked the new feel and look of the OS)

My plan now is to repeat the same process but can anyone on here point me in the right direction from here now? i Have my Time Machine backed up in yosemite with all my data but mavericks won't let me migrate it all back. It says that its a different operating system and it isn't compatible... How can i transition my TM data to the old OS?

Jan 12, 2015 1:50 PM in response to beppe86bs

I am having the same issue... I'm running a MBP 15" late 2011 and made a fresh Yosemite install on a brand new 1TB Samsung SSD.

Charging extremely slow, if charging at all. When running Netflix it always drains battery percentage when connected to the power outlet. Now even with regular browsing in Chrome it is draining.

Displaying weired loading numbers. 20 minutes until full load, etc.

User uploaded file

Apps using significant energy is always Chrome... but really.. never had this issue before, without Yosemite. I turned of the opacity effect on the main bar, turned off the keyboard light and running on low screen light and still draining. there's no way to open more than 3 or 4 browser windows and this is extremely bad when developing for the web.

Can anyone help?! Already did the reset as well, but didn't help. Staying for most of the time around 1 to 5 percent battery life, while connected to the wall plug. Below 3 percent everything starts to lag. Feels like the ram is taken to the fullest and no movement of cursor and mouse a.k.a. typical windows behavior 😉

Jan 28, 2015 4:52 PM in response to beppe86bs

The Apple Hardware Test does not inspect the DC IN module that brings the energy from the magsafe connection, through to the computer/battery.

If you had a crazy power failure or like me charged your computer consistently using a modified sine wave inverter (I live off grid on solar, but also vehicle adapters), the little DC IN chip can get tiered or fried. The cost of the part is like $26 USD.

How to check.

1. Plug in Magsafe

2. Let charge for some time

3. Feel the casing around the magsafe. If it is much warmer than the surrounding casing, then the DC is probably failing.

Macbook Air (mid 2012, 13") charging very slow after update to Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.