Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xcode 6.1 unavaliable

Hi,

I have been trying for a few days to update Xcode to version 6.1 and I keep getting "This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later." I have tried again later, for a couple days, with no luck. Even rebooted a couple times (which I never do), just to see if that changed anything.

Is there anything special I might have to do to get it to work, or has Xcode 6.1 actually been unavailable for the last few days?

Thanks in advance! 🙂

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 11:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 1:55 AM

Hi Badlandz,

I have had the same problem, sort of.

I was able to update xcode via the App Store on my Mac Book Pro, and install it fresh on a new yosemite install on an xserve of all things. The problem seems to only manifest on 2008 My Mac Pro, which has probably never had a clean reinstall. Otherwise my setup is working properly. If this doesn't go away I am going to look for remnants of old xcode (eg stuff in the developer folder from pre-app store) and see if it makes a difference. Very frustrating.

I don't believe the item really is temporarily unavailable since I have been able to install on other Macs same OS, same network, same Apple ID.

Did you have any luck?

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2014 1:55 AM in response to BadlandZ

Hi Badlandz,

I have had the same problem, sort of.

I was able to update xcode via the App Store on my Mac Book Pro, and install it fresh on a new yosemite install on an xserve of all things. The problem seems to only manifest on 2008 My Mac Pro, which has probably never had a clean reinstall. Otherwise my setup is working properly. If this doesn't go away I am going to look for remnants of old xcode (eg stuff in the developer folder from pre-app store) and see if it makes a difference. Very frustrating.

I don't believe the item really is temporarily unavailable since I have been able to install on other Macs same OS, same network, same Apple ID.

Did you have any luck?

Oct 24, 2014 1:27 PM in response to Erik Carlson

I seem to have cracked this. I was trying to find where the app store caches its downloads, as it's no longer in ~Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore where it used to be in previous OS versions, so I got fed up and used Yosemite Cache Cleaner from northern softworks (demo version) to delete all my caches , i rebooted and when it came back i went into the app store was able to download it! Launched fine too.

Apple really needs to work on those error messages, there was nothing temporary about it!

Post if this fix works for you!

Thanks

Erik

Oct 25, 2014 12:37 AM in response to Erik Carlson

I did use a 3rd party cleaner and that didn't do anything, harm or good. I used the yosemite cache cleaner and had to select "deep clean" for it to remove the partially downloaded app. It's now happily downloading, I didn't see _Mattias_ post about manual download which may save me losing my old configuration / asset catalogues. The cache cleaner thing also has some other utils in it, seems a few apps that I had to remove with said 3rd party app cleaner have left things behind in my startup etc. I'll be registering my copy, I hear it's cold in Alaska. Would try the https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action?name=Xcode route first though as this is a nuclear option.

Feb 8, 2015 6:12 PM in response to levexis

Glad to hear it worked, 🙂

I should have mentioned that I too had to chose the deep clean option with cache cleaner.

I had tried a manual download while troubleshooting but Apple no longer make it available, instead they redirect one to the App Store from the dev centre downloads page.

What is this asset / download catalogue that you lost? I haven't noticed any negative side effects apart from one longer shutdown / startup cycle directly afterwards (when I assume the OS was rebuilding some of the other stuff that had been in the cache).

Thanks

Erik

<Edited by Host>

Xcode 6.1 unavaliable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.