Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Popup on Safari that will not go away

I have a popup on my Safari that will not go away, even when I restart my computer. It's to call a number immediately to get help, which I Googled & it is a scam. Can anyone please tell me how to get my Safari back to working right. Thanks

Below is what the popup says:

http://mac-system-issue.com

Safari - Alert

Suspicious Activity Might Have been Detected.

Major Security Issue

To fix it please call Support for Apple

+1 800-680-0697 (Toll Free) immediately!

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 10:08 AM

Choose Force Quit from the Apple menu, close Safari from there, and then launch it with the Shift key held down. If that doesn’t work, disconnect the computer from the Internet and try again.

(115243)

25 replies

Oct 26, 2014 10:31 AM in response to real-diehl

Let me preface this by saying that I am in no way a tech person. I just followed other people's advice and somehow it eventually worked for me. I'm sure I didn't do it the easiest way or the fastest way, but I was trying anything I thought might help.

1) First I tried overriding Safari with a new version but then realized that it was incompatible with Lion, so I upgraded to Yosemite. Didn't help.

2) I then opened Safari (same problem was happening) and did a force quit. There are a number of ways to do that but I chose to click on the apple in the top-left corner, go down to force quit, and then select Safari. Then I went in to Library > Safari and deleted the "LastSession.plist" and then emptied my trash so that it would be totally off my computer. Then I reopened Safari holding the shift key. When it opened, a box came up basically asking if I wanted to restore my last session. Read it carefully and choose the option that will start a new session instead of reopening your old work.

I have no idea if the fact that I upgraded my Safari and operating system helped or changed anything. You may be able to do everything in Step 2 and get the same result....but that's just how it all worked for me.

Hopefully it helps. But I know this particular adware popup i a real bi-atch because it basically totally disables Safari.

Oct 26, 2014 11:25 AM in response to XWPMac

I am having the exact same experience. Shift does nothing. Restart disconnected from internet didn't help either. This thing is wicked.

THANKS BUDDY! The second thing did the trick... you should be so modest... about being no tech person. Anyway to prevent this thing from happening again? I own a mac just to avoid these sorts of things....

Oct 26, 2014 12:35 PM in response to real-diehl

You most likely did it by deleting the the .plist file, the only way this program can reinstate itself after removing Safari and reinstalling it is if if changed a configuration file or left some part of itself on the drive, the key is figuring out what that file or files are or what was changed or the comma of both.

As for buying Mac to avoid these things, that is impossible, the only reason we have less, and the idea that we are safe, is because more people own Pc's and that is what is targeted but we are not immune at all, that is a misconception.

Popup on Safari that will not go away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.