Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are there 5 duplicate "iMac" Shared/Devices in Finder?

I had noticed a couple duplicates before (even with Mavericks) but now there are suddenly 5 "iMac"'s showing under Shared & Devices in Finder. What's going on? There's only one iMac and two WIN PC's on network. Been this way for years.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), iMac8,1 24-inch 2.8 GHz 4 GB

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 12:05 PM

49 replies

Oct 24, 2014 6:53 AM in response to Sapote

Same here, mine happened after Yosemite install, it changes, it has been as low as (2) and as high as (5) I followed the rather old link below and it got rid of the number beside my computer ID but my computer still shows as a shared PC device so all it did was correct the name, and for how long who knows.

Fingers crossed we'll see a fix for this, Apple bugs & glitches seem to be multiplying like cockroaches.....

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_change_imac_mac_name_on_network/

Nov 4, 2014 9:41 AM in response to Sapote

Mine still hasn't reverted back to this behavior and the only changes I've applied since are;

• Change "Computer Name" (System Prefs>Sharing>Computer Name).
  • Turn Wi-Fi Off (System Prefs>Network>Turn Wi-Fi Off or Menu Bar>).
  • "Sign Out" of iCloud (System Prefers>iCloud>).

I had to change the computer name a couple times, but only once with the other two. And no other updates either; OS X,..etc.

Why are there 5 duplicate "iMac" Shared/Devices in Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.