Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photo library not updating

I have the the latest iOS (8.1) on my iPhone 6 and have the iCloud Photo Library on.

If I go to photos under iCloud.com, I see 1713 photos. It constantly says its updating, but no new photos appear.

None of the new photos I take on my iPhone 6 show up on iCloud.com. It has been stuck on 1713 for days.

What is wrong? How can I fix?

I have tried turning off iCloud on my phone and turning it back on.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 23, 2014 11:11 PM

26 replies

Oct 24, 2014 7:27 AM in response to gowhitestripes

Be sure to have an alternate backup for all your photos, because when you turn on "iCloud Photo Library" you are now a "beta tester" for a "beta service" with no guarantee of keeping your photos safe. You'll have to have some kind of alternate way of backing up your photos other than the "iCloud Backup" because that won't back up your photos once "iCloud Photo Library" is turned on.

Oct 26, 2014 1:11 PM in response to Michael Tate Jones

Is your problem resolved?

Today (after the issue was escalated last week) when I logged into my iCloud photos account, suddenly I got welcome screen before it took my to my photos... and when photos appeared, everything worked as it should.

All my photos were up to date.

Not sure what Apple did, but the issue seems to be fixed for me. I'll monitor.

Oct 28, 2014 4:04 PM in response to gowhitestripes

No, I was on the phone with Apple last night to see if they could help. After trying several times to reset the upload process it still stops uploading my photos about half way through. The progress bar disappears and says 'uploading 503 photos' below it but nothing happens after that. Just curious, did you recently restore your iPhone from a backup but have to cancel the restore before it completed?

Dec 20, 2014 9:06 AM in response to gowhitestripes

I've just spoken to iCloud Support today. They've advised me that with the amount of photos in the Photo Stream then it's quite normal to take this long to upload as if you go off Wifi and then back on again then it rechecks the library before uploading again. They've suggested I give it another couple of weeks and see what happens! Hope this helps others!

Dec 20, 2014 1:26 PM in response to gowhitestripes

Yup - my wife is having the exact same problem with her iPhone 6 for well over a month.

She has an iPhone 5 (that the 6 replaced) and an iPad retina - with iCloud Photo Library Beta enabled on all devices.

The iPad and iPhone 5 have both happily uploaded their pictures and they can be viewed via iCloud on a web browser - so I know the images have been uploaded.

The iPhone 6 though, still thinks it uploading 15,000+ images - and has been like this since switching the feature on (It was 14,000+ but she's taken more pictures since). I originally though that it might be because the iPhone 6 was basically set up as the old iPhone 5 was - via an iCloud backup restore that would have contained all the pictures from the original phone… meaning there would be around 13,000 'duplicates' trying to be uploaded! …but since so many other people are having an issue, it probably isn't that. Besides, I'm sure Apple would have made provisions for the situation where identical images are uploaded from different devices…???

Annoyingly, images from the iPhone 6 are available on iCloud Photo Library - up until the end of November (The same time when the whole web-app wasn't available) - but none have uploaded since.

Finally, if I try and switch iCloud Photo Library Beta off on the iPhone 6, I get a warning that around 1,300 low-res images will be deleted from the phone as it hasn't downloaded the high-res versions. Which is odd, as I instantly switched on 'download all high-resolution images' instead of 'optimize iPhone storage' when enabling. So I'm not sure I want to do this as I have no idea what images it would delete!! 😟

iCloud photo library not updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.