Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nikon .NEF stopped working with Yosemite

I've noticed Nikon format .NEF files from my Nikon D3200 that previously worked in Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks comes up as a black thumbnail (or half the image and half black at the center of the image) and the image comes up the same way as well.

My CPU: 2009 iMac Corei7 2.8 ghz with 24 gigs of ram, internal 1 TB drive, external 5 TB array via FW800, 3 different 1.5 TB USB drives. Running Yosemite 10.10. The previous version Mavericks worked fine.

I take shots on a Nikon D3200 using the v1.03 firmware and write to multiple Class 10 SD cards. One is 64 gig, one is 32 gig and I have another 32 gig I've tested as well.

If I take a JPEG, the problem doesn't exist. If I load shots from my iPhone 6 plus the jpegs load fine. I thought it might be the SD card so I've tried 3 with the same results.

If I load a SD card full of .NEFs it seems to cause iPhoto to slow nearly to a halt while attempting to read the images.

It eventually loads them but they're either all black or they are half black/half image.

If I look at the thumbnails they are either black or half the screen is the image and the other half is black.

If I look at the images itself they are either fully black or cause the user interface to almost hang while reading.

I literally went so far as to back up my entire 300 gig iPhoto library to a backup drive and start a completely new iPhoto library.

I deleted iPhoto off my computer altogether, redownloaded from the iTunes store and started completely from scratch.

No joy, same problem.

240 JPEGs off my iPhone? No problem. Thumbnails and photos look great.

3 test .NEFs from a 64 gig SD card from my Nikon D3200: the images are black, thumbnails are black.

Here's the funny thing: I can take the same SD card and load it on my work Windows PC

(Windows 7 64-bit on a Corei7 2.7 ghz with 8 gigs of memory) and the pictures load, store and view fine there.

This is apparently then a MacOS problem.

But not everyone is having the issue: my friend with a Nikon D5300 his .NEFs are coming out fine but he's got a brand new Mac Pro so I'd expect that to work.

It was suggested to me to download the Digital Camera Compatibility Update. However, I can't download a version of the Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update because the newest one I can download from apple.com is v5.07 and if I try to install that it claims the one I'm running now is NEWER than that one!

I've even tried to leave iPhoto out of the situation by just reading the .NEFs in the finder but it seems to be a system problem because the files have the same issue in preview loaded from the finder.

I even tried a copy of the Gimp for MacOS and had the same "black images" issue.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 11:16 AM

Have a read of this thread

RAW files suddenly show up as "not supported" (Aperture 3.5.1, OS X 10.10)

It's helped a number of people.

2 replies

Nikon .NEF stopped working with Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.