Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAW files suddenly show up as "not supported" (Aperture 3.5.1, OS X 10.10)

I’m running the latest Aperture (3.5.1, Digital Camera RAW 6.00) on the Yosemite Beta (10.10).

Photos that have been imported some months ago (recent vacation, Nikon D7000 RAW files) suddenly show up as “Unsupported Image Format”, even though they worked fine until I wanted to order a book from this vacation.

Once that problem started to manifest, also some RAW photos from my Lumix GM1 show up as unsupported, others work just fine.

These images were imported some time ago, edited and exported to flickr, thus used to be accessible just fine with Aperture.

I’ve

- run all three options from the special startup of Aperture (Repair Permissions, Repair Database, Rebuild Database),

- ran Disk Utility to repair the permissions and repaired my disk

- reprocessed the Originals

but still cannot access the files, as the short movie here shows.

Accessing the files with Nikons ViewNX 2 works fine (obviously only the Nikon RAW files).

But even if I re-save the affected files with the Nikon software and re-import them to Aperture, Aperture shows the dreaded “unsupported file format” image for these files…

It’s *really” annoying, since this started to happen just as I wanted to order a photo book from my vacations.

Aperture 3, Other OS, Yosemite 10.10

Posted on Sep 8, 2014 11:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2014 2:24 AM

léonie was able to help me with her (german) anwer in this thread: RAW Dateien nicht unterstütztes Bildformat

The solution was to remove and re-install the RAW support from Apple.

The solution was to

• remove "RawCamera.bundle" and "RawCameraSupport.bundle" from the /System/Library/Coreservices Folder
  • (In Terminal.app: "cd /System/Library/CoreServices/", "sudo rm -r *Raw*" (WARNING, THIS REMOVES THE FILES INSTANTLY!))
  • Reboot the system
  • Re-Download the Raw Compatibility update 5.06 form Apple Support: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1757 and install it
  • Restart Aperture, reprocess the affected files and order the photo book.
31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2014 2:24 AM in response to david.haberthuer

léonie was able to help me with her (german) anwer in this thread: RAW Dateien nicht unterstütztes Bildformat

The solution was to

• remove "RawCamera.bundle" and "RawCameraSupport.bundle" from the /System/Library/Coreservices Folder
  • (In Terminal.app: "cd /System/Library/CoreServices/", "sudo rm -r *Raw*" (WARNING, THIS REMOVES THE FILES INSTANTLY!))
  • Reboot the system
  • Re-Download the Raw Compatibility update 5.06 form Apple Support: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1757 and install it
  • Restart Aperture, reprocess the affected files and order the photo book.

Oct 22, 2014 2:29 PM in response to david.haberthuer

I just had a somewhat similar issue. All of a sudden a bunch of "not supported" images showed up. I sorted by file name & found the the original images were there just fine & the "not supported" images were duplicates. I sent the "not supported" images to the Aperture trash. So do you think I am safe to not take further action?

I have also noticed that since installing Yosemite that Aperture 3.6 is very slow to load - it never was like that before Yosemite.

Oct 22, 2014 4:08 PM in response to dickfrompowhatan

This solved my problem:

avid.haberthuer

Sep 9, 2014 2:24 AM

Re: RAW files suddenly show up as "not supported" (Aperture 3.5.1, OS X 10.10)

in response to david.haberthuer | This solved my question

The solution was to

remove "RawCamera.bundle" and "RawCameraSupport.bundle" from the /System/Library/Coreservices Folder

(In Terminal.app: "cd /System/Library/CoreServices/", "sudo rm -r *Raw*" (WARNING, THIS REMOVES THE FILES INSTANTLY!)) [I have simply searched for these files with Easyfind and trashed them.

Reboot the system

Re-Download the Raw Compatibility update 5.06 [Now 5.07] form Apple Support: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1757 and install it

Restart Aperture, reprocess the affected files...

Oct 30, 2014 8:42 AM in response to léonie

Hi

I tried to use the script in the console which has worked for others but after running it and rebooting when I try to install the suggested previous RAW package the installer says I have a newer RAW package already installed. I've tried to run the script several times and get the same answer. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Richard

Oct 30, 2014 10:32 AM in response to Red Robin

Apologies I have installed 5.07 not 5.06.

I had previously updated to 3.6 and it showed Digital Camera RAW 6.00 Build 761.5 with a Digital Camera RAW Support 6000 Build 136.1 That was when my problems started as before that upgrade all was well. Reading above it looks as the action detailed by leonie solved the problem for another user running 3.6 & Yosemite. As an example Aperture is now saying it doesn't recognise Nikon D4 or Ricoh GR RAW files, neither are new cameras, which it had recognised with previous updates.

I'm stuck at the moment. I like Aperture and am going to stick with it.

If anyone else has further suggestions I can try it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

RAW files suddenly show up as "not supported" (Aperture 3.5.1, OS X 10.10)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.