Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Match on iOS 8.1 'data wheel spinning'

Are people finding iOS8 a bit frustrating when using match? I only really noticed since 8.1 that on my iPhone running match I will quite often see the ‘data wheel’ in the top right constantly spinning. Obviously I've seen the data wheel at work before but always for short periods of time. But now it often won't go away. The only way to get rid of it is to force kill the music app and reload it. Then it is fine. It’s not happening all the time but I think under wifi (I don’t allow match to use cellular data) match attempts to sync/upload to the cloud details such as songs played for playcount updating once a day. Sometimes the data wheel does go after a few secs but often it just stays there spinning. It does it on both my iPhone and iPad. I don’t think it’s actually transferring any data when it’s stuck spinning and is just a cosmetic thing. I know that the playcounts are updating because I see my iTunes library updating playcounts/recently played to reflect my day’s listening.

Other than that it seems fine. I haven’t switched match off on my devices since updating to 8.1 as I read somewhere that the latest iOSupdate has trouble re-enabling match. So am fearful of that. Have others turned match off and back on since updating to 8.1? I wondered if it’s ok as I knowthat disabling wifi (when cellular is also disabled for match) causes match to turn itself off on iDevices. So I worry that if I disable to wifi for any reason I won't be able to get match back on. If that makes sense!

Cheers

Wayne

Posted on Oct 24, 2014 9:15 AM

6 replies

Oct 27, 2014 6:34 PM in response to Scottyboy99

I have been having a similar issue. Ever since I upgraded to iOS 8 (I'm not running iOS 8.1) it seem like the music app is trying to access the internet over cellular data even though I have cellular data turned off for the Music app. When I turn off cellular data for the Music app and I'm not connected to WiFi the songs that are not stored on the iPhone is not greyed out even though it should to be. I also noticed that if I have poor cell service and I have cellular data turned off for the Music app it will take longer for the Music app to switch to the next song since it's trying to download it.

I have a thread related to this issue here Trying to play music with "Music" cellular data turned off

Oct 30, 2014 8:32 AM in response to OsirisIsisSeth

I'm having the same issue that OsirisIsisSeth has described.It happened to me when I upgraded from my iPhone 5 to my new iPhone 6 Plus. I spent some very frustrating hours with Apple Customer Support with no luck. I'm going to an Apple Service Repair (no Apple Stores around me) to have iOS 8.1 loaded on my phone again using a Mac/iTunes versus OTA. Just in case, here's more detail of my situation from my chat with Apple Customer Support. Maybe someone out there has figured something out and is able to share.

I had an iPhone 5 and I upgraded OTA. Then, I purchased an iPhone 6 Plus which came installed with iOS 8.0.2 which I updated OTA to iOS 8.1. I backed up my iPhone 5 to iCloud and traded it in. I restored the iCloud backup to my new iPhone 6 Plus. I had to upgrade iOS 8.0.2 to iOS 8.1 before I could restore from the iCloud backup. Now, when I open the phone's Music app and try downloading the entire contents of a specific playlist utilizing iTunes Match by clicking Download All, it adds 25-100 songs to the download cue which start to download. The number of active downloads continues to count down, but no new downloads are added to the cue. When I look back at the playlist, the active downloads show a circle with a square in the middle and finally the icon disappears all together when the song is downloaded. All the other songs that were not part of the original 25-100, show a spinning circle, but they never progress beyond that and are never added to the cue no matter how long I wait. However, if I touch the spinning circle it will change into a circle with a square in it and will eventually download. So, in theory, I could download my songs if I am willing to click on all my songs one at a time. This is not how the Download All option is supposed to work.

If you're having this same issue, I hope my detailed explanation confirms that you're not alone and not crazy. If I figure something out, I will come back and share.

Jan 4, 2015 7:57 PM in response to Scottyboy99

I had this issue too on my iPhone and iPad, and tried a bunch of different things and nothing worked. Then I discovered that songs in playlists within folders in iTunes wouldn't download, but non "nested" playlists worked normally. I made all my playlists flat, and removed all my folders in iTunes on my Mac and now it's working normally for the most part. I have to hit Download All a few times on my iPhone, but everything does download without having to touch each eternally spinning red circle. Not sure if this will work for others, but wanted to post.

Mar 25, 2015 8:11 PM in response to jayhawkeye2

I spent a long time with Apple Tech support today regarding the issue of the never-ending spinning red wheel to the right of the songs in the Music Match-mirrored Playlists after you request to download all the songs in that Playlist to your iOS device. In my case, I am using a 128GB iPad Mini.

I open up my iTunes Match-mirrored Playlist. The first line says Download All. Some of the songs come down, but so many just get stuck with that spinning reddish wheel. Yes, if I tap on the wheel one at a time, the reddish wheel stops spinning and then the song will download.

I tried turning off Match...and then turning it back on. I logged in and out of my Apple ID. I reset my network settings. I even tried letting the songs download using another high-speed network at another location.

No one at Apple Tech Support could come up with a solution. In fact, I was told they never heard of this issue. (I guess they do not read this particular forum.)

One tech suggested I give up on Music Match, request a refund, and just do the old-fashioned sync to my computer to always load songs. He told me Match is really just for people who wanna stream...not for those who wanna store via Match so many songs on their iOS devices. (Even though Apple gives you a Download All button at the top of every playlist.)

I am running iOS 8.2 on my iPad Mini.

My collection is rather large...and I really do not wanna tap that spinning red wheel on thousands of songs. If anyone can figure out a fix, please post in this forum. Thank you.

Match on iOS 8.1 'data wheel spinning'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.