Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Short battery life of iPad Air2?

I am using the new iPad Air 2 (128 GB, wi-fi + cellular) for about 24 hours and noticed a far shorter battery life of the 9-10 hours claimed by Apple. My usage consists of reading, playing and watching video-- quite the same usage of the previous Air -- where the battery was good for one day on average (requiring charging every night).

What is your experience / take on this issue???

Sincerely,

Yoram.

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2014 6:36 PM

Yes my battery seems to drain too. I fully charged my iPad Air 2 and after an hour of not using it much it's down to 92%. With my previous device it would have been at 98-99%.

29 replies

Oct 25, 2014 7:09 PM in response to Zodler

My new iPad Air 2 is doing the same thing. I compared it to my iPad Air 1st gen (both are 128gb) and couldn't believe how much faster the new iPad Air 2 battery decreased faster than the iPad Air 1. This is the second day using the new iPad and will see how things go with this new purchase. Not happy about this.

Oct 27, 2014 4:02 AM in response to Joram Sawady1

Here's an update on my situation regarding my iPad Air 2 Battery issues. After doing some research I decided to run the battery down on my iPad. This process is called calibrating which should fix the problem. I played a movie that ran the iPad battery all the way down. Then I recharged it and my iPad seems like it's been holding its charge quite well. When I first received my new iPad I noticed how fast the battery would run down while using it. Even if it was a simple task I would see the percentage literally go down within minutes. I also downloaded a third-party app called Battery Doctor HD. It scanned my iPad and would assess any issues that it had. This app also suggested ways to preserve battery life. Hopefully this resolves all my battery issues.

Oct 31, 2014 12:27 PM in response to WaltDFW

So what is your experience with your iPad Air 2 and baterry time?

I did a full dis-charge to 0 and then a full re-charge to 100%.

Then I used the device for 2 hours reading, no video playback.

At the end the baterry was at 78% which doesn't seem very good to me.

Does this sound normal to you?

Has anyone of you compared your Air to Air2 battery time?

Oct 31, 2014 1:28 PM in response to Zodler

I totally feel for you. However, I'm on my 7th day using the iPad Air 2 and after recalibrating the battery, I can finally say that the battery is finally working the way it should. I would monitor what I'd be doing and notice that its not losing battery power fast like when I first got it. This morning it was at 100% and I packed it in my work bag. By the time I used it, which was 3 hours later, I still had 100%. Maybe there's some kind of break-in period- a time to massage the battery and really get it to hold a charge or something. I have no idea. But its working now. I've read that others are holding a charge with heavy use very well. And there are others that lose lots of battery juice when using their iPad Air 2 with heavy or light use. I have the 128GB iPad Air 2 (Wifi + Cellular) in gray with black bezel and still within my 14 day window. I plan on exchanging it for the 128 GB gold iPad Air 2 (Wifi + Cellular) with white bezel since I've had black iPads this entire time. Something different for a change. Let's hope its not part of a bad batch that had bad batteries. You just never know. 🙂

Oct 31, 2014 1:50 PM in response to Zodler

To recalibrate, run the battery down totally. Play a movie at the brightest level, run a bunch of Apps in the background, etc. Get it to the point where it shuts off on its own and no juice in the battery whatsoever. Then plug it in and let it charge up over night. I charged mine for 12 or more long hours just to be sure it had a full charge. After that, reboot the iPad by holding down the home button first then the off button on top until the screen goes blank and the white apple logo shows up on your screen. At that moment, you can release these buttons to allow the iPad to boot up all the way.

Then you can use your iPad and see how it works over the next few days. If its still not holding a charge even when its in sleep mode, you may want to make an appointment with your local Apple Genius bar and have them do an assessment and diagnostics. I just remembered that my iPad Air 1 was giving me trouble at first as well. It would not charge up to 100% It would only charge to 99%. Apple told me to recalibrate and it was fine after that.

Here's a lesson about rechargeable batteries: whenever you get a new device that has rechargeable batteries, do not use it right away. Plug it in and charge it until its fully charged. Better yet, run the battery down and recalibrate it. The device may have been in stock all this time starting out with a 100% charge from the factory but then lost some juice while it was in stock before it was sold to a customer. Remember, these iPad 2 Air devices didn't come off the conveyor belt and into the stores. They've been sitting in stock for a while somewhere until they officially rolled them out to the stores for their customers. So, many of them may have lost some juice just by sitting in stock.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Nov 6, 2014 9:00 AM in response to Joram Sawady1

First time post - thought it was worth registering and filing a complaint.

While taking notes in Evernote with identical apps, identical full initial charge, same everything after a 30 minute test the Air2 depleted 13% battery while my original Air depleted 1%. I've noticed this across the board with everything, I can't even get an entire day out of the Air2 and I used to charge my Air literally about 1 time a week. This is extremely disheartening as a business user, and false claims by Apple. I feel as the wool has been pulled over my eyes by the marketing department (again).

We don't always want thinner & lighter. I want some weight behind my product so I get a good tactile response, I don't want it light as a feather and thin as paper. I'm just one guy - but I'm disappointed in the Air2 as a business tool. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations in generations. I'm sure the Air2 is great at some things. But what I need it for it misses the mark entirely. I feel it's geared towards games, and it has declined as a business tool.

Please advise.

Short battery life of iPad Air2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.