Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keypad during FaceTime call?

So if I make a FaceTime call on my iMac via my iPhone 6, where's my keypad?

Did they seriously forget to include that little bit of functionality?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 26, 2014 2:16 PM

34 replies

Oct 28, 2017 7:02 AM in response to John Whitehead

Well, Mr. Know It All, then tell me how you enter the # pound sign? Try it. Doesn't work. So if someone is getting a callback from a two-factor authentication system and is required to press the # key to confirm, good luck with that. They should have just included a simple button on the call notification window that lets a user click buttons on a normal phone style keypad, including * asterisk as well. But they must have someone like you there that likes to talk snarky and think they know everything.

Oct 28, 2017 7:08 AM in response to ldspeedyg

Agree 100%. This is a real problem with Apple 'hiding' stuff that should be in plain sight. A simple software keyboard button. Wow. As you said, no one ones to be on a large group call with their Mac panicking because they need to push the stupid # key on the call and it just doesn't work. And don't even get me started on all these 'secret handshake' gestures they keep adding to everything so that no one knows where anything is anymore. "Sure, to exit, just swipe up, then left, then right 3 times, the down, then click your heals 2 times and spin around..."

Oct 28, 2017 7:16 AM in response to DBux42

Try it with the # pound key. Doesn't work. Regarding Apple in general, I can't tell you how many times I've said "where the **** is the..." for so many things that should have "just worked" or just "been there". For example, even on this web forum, after you post a message or a reply, good luck trying to edit it. Every other forum in the world lets you edit your own postings, but Apple? Nope. In their endless quest to keep things simple, they simple elected not to implement an edit feature with is absurd. Apple tries to be overly simplistic, but they end up making their users spend endless hours trying to "find out" how to do things on forums like this. Things that should be trivial on any other platform.

Dec 12, 2017 10:59 AM in response to Dj Smooth

Sorry for the yelling here but really Apple ➖! Here is the issue, you make a call and then try to use the keypad, I did just this. NOTHING BLOODY HAPPENS!!! Of course reading the smarty pants on this forum who say it's obvious NO IT'S NOT as the window that pops is not in focus UNTIL YOU CLICK ON IT.

So in summary to use the keypad click on call window first and then you can use the keypad. This seems like a major fail UI wise, Apple trying to be minimalist but confusing the sh*^( out of the majority of users. I'm pretty savvy user with but this stumped me so the vast majority of users will indeed think there is no keypad. Heck apple just hide it by default but add a little button that forces us to get the window in to focus so we can use our physical keyboards or better still the trackpad / mouse and a virtual one.

Oct 29, 2014 11:42 AM in response to Dj Smooth

Hi Dj Smooth,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you would like to make an outgoing call from your iMac using your iPhone’s cellular connection. To make an outbound call you would not use FaceTime, you would tap or click on a phone number in Contacts, Calendar, or Safari. Please use the attached article for more information.

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity

Have a great day,

Joe

Oct 29, 2014 11:52 AM in response to AppleJoe

Nowhere on that page, which I've read several times after setting up Yosemite, does it mention how to use a keypad while you're in a call.

It doesn't matter how I initiate the call, either through contacts or facetime, once I'm connected, where's my keypad?

Perfect example: Let's say I add company XYZ to my contacts on the iMac. I select that contact, hit the phone icon and begin a call through my iPhone 6. Company XYZ answers and their computer system wants me to select an option to continue. I don't have a keypad so I can't select 1 for such and such option.

THAT is what I'm talking about.

Oct 30, 2014 9:03 AM in response to Dj Smooth

Hey Dj Smooth,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I’m sorry I didn’t grasp your situation earlier but now I do understand. Once the call is initiated you would use the number keys on your keyboard to make selections in an automated system. Make sure that you have the phone call notification on your computer selected and your physical keyboard numbers will let you make selections.

Use your Mac to make and receive phone calls - Mac Help

Answer automated phone system prompts: Click the phone call notification and enter numbers.

Cheers,

Joe

Oct 30, 2014 9:10 AM in response to AppleJoe

That notification is already on since I can answer the phone call on the iMac if someone calls, assuming that's the same phone call notification you're referring to.

That being said, I tried the physical numbers on the keyboard and that doesn't work either.

I love Apple products but this phone call synchronization between Yosemite and Iphone 6 was not handled well in my opinion. There should be a new section of the system preferences on the iMac that handles this new ability, complete with instructions and FYI stuff.

Nov 5, 2014 12:06 PM in response to Dj Smooth

First of all, this is a completely new system and KUDOS for Apple making this cutting edge feature available. For me on Yosemite on my Mac Mini this has worked flawlessly.

That said, I too was trying to use the keys on the Mac keyboard for prompts response on a phone call using the Mac. I could not hear anything. Did not work.

I even tried the iPhone's keypad and of course that then took the call off the Mac lol! (Anyone that knows how to pick that call back up on the Mac please share)

No reason for peoples heads to fall off bc they can't figure out a new feature like this. Patience.

After reading the Apple documentation which I admit is not perfectly clear (again realizing this is all so NEW) I noticed they said use MUTE....

Guess What? Problem solved!!! Just hit the mute button on the call window and then hit the number key on the keyboard and it worked perfectly!

Simple.

Edit: I might add there is something really COOL about your WIFI only iPad now ringing just like your iPhone and answering a call on it or your Mac!!!!!

It's AWESOME!!

Mar 5, 2015 12:49 PM in response to Dj Smooth

Hey DJ - I completely agree that it looks like a missing feature (no ability to 'pop up' the keypad the way you can on an iPhone) as well as being a documentation bug (not explaining how to do something as common as using "phone keys" to navigate during a call).

You can use the normal number keys above the main keyboard instead of the number pad. The number pad (on my keyboard at least) is terrible for making phone calls because it numbers form the bottom upwards. Phones are numbered from the top downwards.

Clicking on the call window in order to transfer keyboard input focus to the FaceTime call is... understandable after-the-fact for me as a programmer, but I definitely didn't guess it was necessary when I was making my call.

keypad during FaceTime call?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.