Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone keeps asking me to sign into iCloud

This morning my phone started 'wigging out' a bit regarding iCloud.

I am trying to use my phone as I normally do and it keeps asking me for my iCloud password every time I tap my screen or try to type.

This is ridiculous as I never signed into iCloud nor do I use it.

Now, I do have an iCloud account from like 4 years ago that I used once when my husband had to have his phone replaced and they backed up stuff there for him from the Apple store, but since then it's not been logged into nor used.

So, with this constant interruption while trying to type a text message to a friend, I checked my settings for iCloud and it does show my name but not that I'm logged in that I can tell. Everything is turned off in there. BUT, if I scroll to the bottom of the screen it says "log out". I never logged in. So, if I click that it tells me that "Deleting this account will remove it's data from your phone".

Now how can simply logging out of something I never logged into turn into a deletion of the account?

Powering down the phone and then booting it back up again does nothing. I still get that prompt to enter my password on every tap of the screen. In fact, it made it worse. My phone is useless at the moment due to the constant pop up prompts for my password.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

iPhone 5

iOS 8.1

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 5:29 AM

One more question - what data will be 'removed' exactly? iCloud or all my phone data?

25 replies

Oct 27, 2014 10:06 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

I'm sorry, what makes you feel I'm not familiar? If you tap on log out, it would delete the iCloud account on the device. It does not delete the data in the cloud, and would only delete the cloud data on the device. Did you require further information?

Thank you. Your vague one line answer wasn't enough to satisfy my concern is all. Don't mean to insult you.

I was also a little concerned that it says I was signed in when I never did.

Oct 27, 2014 12:36 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

Your concern may be that the account is active so you can activate Find My iPhone. That is why it would display log out. It does not mean that you have any data in the cloud. I have iCloud logged in with my device for Find My iPhone, however I do not backup to, nor do I sync any of my data to iCloud.

Well I did as you suggested and did click log out and let it 'delete' whatever it was it deleted and it stopped the incessant prompting. Like I said, the wording on the phone was confusing and I didn't want to make a headache for myself.

Thanks for the help.

Oct 30, 2014 8:17 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris, you should be a bit more courteous to people that are asking questions about things they clearly aren't familiar with and have a deep concern they are going to delete precious information that probably can't be retrieved and possibly get someone fired from their job, THAT'S what concerned the person you were attempting to assist but ended up making them feel small. Makes me want to go turn in my Apple stuff and buy something else.

Nov 2, 2014 6:39 AM in response to Russell Stephens

Russell Stephens wrote:

Chris, you should be a bit more courteous to people that are asking questions about things they clearly aren't familiar with and have a deep concern they are going to delete precious information that probably can't be retrieved and possibly get someone fired from their job, THAT'S what concerned the person you were attempting to assist but ended up making them feel small. Makes me want to go turn in my Apple stuff and buy something else.

This is a user-to-user technical support forum. If you were expecting Apple customer service staff, you're in the wrong place. It is also apparent that the two previous posters in this thread did, in fact, arrive at a place of mutual understanding several days before you felt the need to step in. It should also be obvious that, based on the large number of user-awarded points that Chris has, that he's quite good at helping people.

If you think that answering questions can be done better, I challenge you to show us how it's done rather than criticize others who spend a lot of time doing so.

Best of luck.

Nov 19, 2014 10:16 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I have to say Russell Stephens is right on this one and you're wrong. Chris was snippy and sarcastic to the lady about her not recognizing his expertise, and it was quite off-putting to see—and I'm a Mac user going back 25 years. I don't know what his previous user-awarded points or the fact that this is a "user-to-user technical support forum" have to do with the need to keep basic courtesy. He goofed in this instance. It happens. Everyone should have the attitude of service—Apple employee or not. Behavior here reflects on the company and its community.

Nov 19, 2014 11:00 PM in response to SamuraiMac10

SamuraiMac10 wrote:

Everyone should have the attitude of service—Apple employee or not. Behavior here reflects on the company and its community.

I do this for my own amusement, not out of an "attitude of service". I don't represent Apple. Nor does Chris. They don't pay us. You may have thought Chris was snippy or sarcastic. Fine. He's allowed. You're allowed not to like it. Ignore his answers. You'll miss out but that's your problem. But expecting us to be customer service reps? Ok, that did provide me with some amusement.

iPhone keeps asking me to sign into iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.