Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone with a Crucial MX100 SSD and problems with Mavericks?

Hi there.

I carbon copy cloned my ex Intel X25M G2 160gb SSD to my new Crucial MX100 512gb SSD and installed it in my mac mini Late 2012 (i7 2.6ghz).

Never experienced before, now the system freezing up and getting the "spinning ball of death" for almost 10 seconds (maybe more) and than the system becomes normal. After few time (don't know maybe two minutes, maybe twenty, it depends) again freezing up and getting the "spinning ball of death".

Are there anyone with a Crucial MX100 SSD that experience my problem? Solution? Apple Hardware Test on the mac mini say 'no hardware problem at all' (I went for the long test during the night). Maybe the clone process had some unknown problem even though I did it many times in the past and never experienced something similar.

Do I have to re-install to have the answer? What do you think?

Regards,

Claudio.

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 12:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply
18 replies

Oct 28, 2014 11:47 PM in response to ClaudeG77

Hi, I don't know very well english, so, sorry for mistakes.

I have a MBP 13" 2012 i5, and I didn't try OS X Mavericks under original HDD. I bought it, and I immediately change HDD for same SSD, just 256GB instead 512GB. I'm talking 1 month ago. I mean, the hardware is new.

Under Mavericks I had the same problem. I installed it clean on the SSD. So, Yosemite released, and I install it, again, clean. Nothing of Time Machine or stuff. Clean installation. Thinking about it's problem of Mavericks. I though that problem would be fix it.

Under Yosemite, again, I had the same problem, again, the "spinning ball of death" for almost 10 seconds.

I've tried Ubuntu 14.04.1 for weeks and there is not problem, everything is fine!!!. So, SSD is OK, Mac's hardware is OK too. I think Apple OS X is the problem.

I will try it reset SMC. I'll let you know if I found a solution.

PD: I had a Mac Mini as yours. Just it was i7 2.3 instead 2.6. And I didn't have problem at all. I had it with original HDD.

Oct 29, 2014 3:55 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you Eric but nothing from the above. The problem seems to be the Crucial MX100. After a clean install same problem in Mavericks and Yosemite too.

After re-installing my 'old' Intel X25M G2 160gb SSD all is ok, from Mavericks to Yosemite. No problem at all and no "spinning ball of death" anymore.

At this time I will try the Crucial MX100 on a Windows 7 machine.

May 2, 2015 11:24 AM in response to ClaudeG77

There's a firmware upgrade for the MX100 (search for MX100 in the dropdown here: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd) however after reading through the thread, the upgrade seems to require a fairly advanced skills and knowledge. Anyway I'm not sure if the upgrade is intended to fix spinny beachball issues or random and frequent restarts like I'm experiencing. Here's how Crucial describes the update...

Release Date: 03/10/2015 (Manual boot file for Windows and Mac)

Firmware for the MX100 (all form factors) is being updated from version MU01 to MU02. The MX100 is updateable to this new firmware starting from previous versions using tools provided by Micron.

This update will be mandatory cut-in for new product built in Micron factories, and is an OPTIONAL update for any drive in the field. For end users, it is recommended if the user is experiencing or wishes to prevent an issue related to the following items.

Version MU02 includes the following changes:

Improved stability, Efficiency, and Performance during power state transitions

Improved handling of environments with unstable power supplies

Improved handling of environments with SATA interface signal integrity issues

Improved response time for SMART read commands

Corrected error handling NCQ Trim Commands

Corrected reporting of SMART Attribute 5

Anyone with a Crucial MX100 SSD and problems with Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.