Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite - login screen on low res

Hello all,

i'm facing strange issue. After update to Yosemite on my MacBook Pro Retina ( Mid 2012 ) login screen appears in low-res.

I've tried changing resolution and several restarts but no luck so far. Anyone had same issue?

Thanks for any advice.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 10:01 AM

56 replies

Jan 10, 2017 11:04 AM in response to Isengrim

I had this same issue. The resolution on the login screen is the resolution of the root user. So enable the root user login (How to enable the root user on your Mac - Apple Support) and login as the root user. Once logged in as root user, set the display resolution to what you want. Restart your mac. Login with an Administrator account and disable the root user login. Done.

Add a comment if this worked for you. 🙂

Oct 29, 2014 4:30 PM in response to Isengrim

Also experiencing this on my Late-2013 15" rMBP...it wasn't present during the early OSX 10.10 betas but has been persistent over the last few and now with the full release.

I have done a full, clean install as well to see if something was fubared in the settings but nope. What a really silly issue to have. 10.10 wasn't ready for primetime, these aren't the type of bugs that people should be experiencing.

What I can say though is that for me, this issue is limited to when i'm using an external display. If I use my laptop without anything connected externally it doesn't happen.

Yosemite - login screen on low res

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.