Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On iOS 8, can't add a person to a group text

In iOS8 you can in theory add people to group texts. The Apple website says:

"You can add a person to a conversation by tapping Details, and then tapping Add Contact."

I'm running iOS 8.1 (on an iPhone 5S), but this feature does not work. When I click on details, "add contact" does not appear like it does in the photos on Apple's webpage. I've also seen this on other people's phones so I know what to look for and I'm not getting it. Are there some unpublished restrictions on how it works? Does everyone in the group need to be using iMessage for example?

I already made sure that "group messaging" is turned on in settings.

I thought maybe Apple had caught up with What's App but it still doesn't seem like it!!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 30, 2014 4:53 PM

42 replies

Nov 2, 2017 3:58 PM in response to Rock Bottom59

Yes that’s what’s u said. This has been the go around for too long a time now and it it 1) is Lengthy 2) only addresses 1/2 the problem 3) STILL hasn’t been addressed by Apple It’s an old wrinkle in a seamless texting/ messaging world This affects a great many people daily in relying on effective team communication that expects speed & simplicity Come on Apple - address this please. I had to log in and accept toa - please use this forum as legitimate issues. Cudos on u Rock Bottom59 - And good on u for steering it back to the real problem of mixing ur iPhone contacts with non - Bravo Zulu Rock Bottom59 What is the deal, right?

Nov 2, 2017 4:58 PM in response to vabchbud

vabchbud wrote:

This affects a great many people daily in relying on effective team communication

If that's what you need, you would be better served with a proper group messaging program. We use GroupMe. I don't know that it's the best but it works well and has the advantage of being useable over SMS if there's someone in your group without a smartphone.

Nov 20, 2017 6:38 AM in response to Tiramesuz

Tiramesuz wrote:

November 19th unable to add a contact to a group per instructions to tap i Details. Something has dropped off. It is a little embarrasing if you forgot to add someome and now can not get them in the message! Please hurry & fix

Is everyone in your group using iMessage? If not, you can't add someone to the group. That has not changed. You'll need to start the group over again. Or, use a proper group messaging program.

Nov 20, 2017 7:15 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

What we are saying -assuming everyone IS of course in msg. - THE FEATURE ITSELF - the option itself, to add using iDetails is NOT there! Simply not there gone. We were able to add a person if you left off a name and now there is NO feature to select to add. Not there. It is embarrassing if you left off a name and now can not add them. Your reply was simplistic -as if we were simply not using the feature - that is supposed to be there!

Not on iOS11.1.2. Nope! Not there!

Nov 2, 2014 12:00 PM in response to meggiers

Hi meggiers,

In order to add members to a chat using the method you describe - that is by tapping Details and then Add Contact - you must already be in a Group Chat. To start a Group Chat follow the directions in this article -

Send a group message with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Specifically -

To send messages to a group, start a new conversation. Then enter multiple recipients or tap User uploaded file to select from your contacts.

Then you can add members to the Group Chat -

You can add a person to a conversation by tapping Details, and then tapping Add Contact.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Nov 3, 2014 7:41 AM in response to Brett L

Yes, I know this only works for group chats. Unfortunately your reply does not answer my question. When I try it for already established group messages it does not work.

Since I originally posted I've learned that it works for some group messages and not others. My only theory at this point is that everyone on the group needs to be using iMessage. I hope this is not the case because it severely limits the functionality. Again, I thought Apple had caught up with the 10 programmers at What's App, but it seems like they haven't. <Sigh>

On iOS 8, can't add a person to a group text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.