Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Paying for my own purchases in Family Sharing

My mom set up family sharing. But I am an adult and can pay for my own purchases. How can I do that?

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 31, 2014 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 10:05 AM

My dad set up family sharing and doesn't always update his credit card information. I am an adult but because of that, I sometimes can't even download apps that are free. Apple definitely needs to change this system.

41 replies

Nov 21, 2017 5:23 AM in response to McKinleyMC

I just want Apple to know that this is the worst set up ever. I thought this was great until I attempted to purchase music. I have a gift card that I can't use until my fiance calls me with the credit card information. That is outrageous! I should have the option to purchase. For some reason, my phone keeps telling me that the family information is not available at this time. I can't even leave family share to make my purchase.

This makes me reconsider Apple and my iPhone all together.

Feb 5, 2017 5:42 AM in response to CK56184

I did just read on another forum that perhaps the organizer of family sharing has to be the one to redeem the gift cards

That's not right, an account's balance can't be shared - if it's redeemed onto the organiser's account it can only be used for the organiser's own purchases.

Asking for the credit card's security code can happen, it doesn't necessarily mean that the card will be charged (except for a temporary charge : About payment card authorization holds in the iTunes Store - Apple Support)

Oct 22, 2015 6:57 PM in response to Brett L

Brett L wrote:

Hi McKinleyMC,

Purchases made while in a Family Sharing are billed first to any credit on your account, such as gift cards or store credit. If neither of these is present on your account, only then will it be billed to the credit card associated with the Family Sharing account. See this article -

Family purchases and payments - Apple Support

So the way to do what you describe would be to use iTunes gift cards, prepaid cards or other credits so that you always have a balance in your account sufficient to make any purchases you wish to make.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

This is really a terrible idea. Right now family sharing is set up under my wife's credit card. I want to buy music on my own credit card yet share it with my children. I'm extremely frustrated that I can no longer do this. I am not going to buy a gift card to make iTunes purposes. Change this system.

Nov 3, 2014 9:01 AM in response to McKinleyMC

Hi McKinleyMC,

Purchases made while in a Family Sharing are billed first to any credit on your account, such as gift cards or store credit. If neither of these is present on your account, only then will it be billed to the credit card associated with the Family Sharing account. See this article -

Family purchases and payments - Apple Support

So the way to do what you describe would be to use iTunes gift cards, prepaid cards or other credits so that you always have a balance in your account sufficient to make any purchases you wish to make.

Best,

Brett L

Nov 3, 2014 11:59 AM in response to Brett L

Hi Brett,

Thank you for your response. I do have my own Credit Card associated with my apple id, I have for years and have made many purchases. But since my mom set up family sharing, the only option I can choose is her credit card and they ask me to verify by inputting her credit card verification code. The only other option is to cancel the purchase. I have read the support site, but it is written for the organizers of the family sharing, not for the other family members who are purchasing their own items. I hope this clarification is clearer. Thank you for your help.

Mary

Sep 30, 2016 2:17 PM in response to drubinoff

I agree. I REALLY REALLY REALLY just HATE this. The quick, sarcastic, "just leave family sharing" answer is amazingly insulting and plain stupid. The reason why I'm in family sharing in the first place is to use the Find my iphone feature with my family. I have children and multiple devices, so I want to be able to login and see them. Family sharing is the way to do this.

It is shocking that no developers had the smarts to realize there's usually two parents in a family, and perhaps they would like to make purchases separately. AND still manage their kids. Two managers; separate purchases, doing different things with different likes and interests. This is really basic stuff; not being able to easily manage things is going to drive users away from Apple when some other company starts developing more useful options.

Nov 3, 2014 2:49 PM in response to McKinleyMC

Hi Mary,

As stated above, when you are part of a Family Sharing group, the only payment methods that will be used before the group organizer's credit card are gift cards, prepaid cards and store credit. Your own personal credit card will not be considered.

If you wish to leave Family Sharing you can do so by following the steps in this article -

Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support

Of course once having removed yourself from Family Sharing, you would be responsible for your own purchases again and they could go on your credit card.

Best,

Brett L

Paying for my own purchases in Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.