Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In-app e-mails crash in iOS 8

Ever since upgrading to iOS 8, I have been unable to send e-mails from apps other than the mail app. All other apps crash the e-mail as soon as I select an address from my contacts. If I manually type in the address, then I'm okay unless I want to switch the account I'm sending the message from.

An example process goes:

1.) Decide to share a YouTube video (though this might as well be Pages, GoodReader, PDF Expert, everything that isnt Mail).

2.) Tap the share icon and select "Share Link."

3.) The e-mail form pops up and I start typing the contact's address in the "To:" field.

4.) As soon as auto-fill gives me the right address, I select it.

5.) The e-mail form quickly disappears from the screen, appearing to slide from top to bottom as though I had hit send. It doesn't send, though, because I've checked the Outbox and Sent folders and there's no "woosh" sound effect. It's just a crashed e-mail.

Sme sometimes the Mail app crashes when I change sending accounts, but that may be a separate issue. My primary concern is to be able to go back to sharing a PDF from GoodReader or mailing a link directly from Dropbox or sending a document from Pages without needing to jump through tons and tons of hoops. All of this worked great until iOS 8. Now I have to take a Pages document, open it in Dropbox, copy the link to it from Dropbox, open Mail and start a message that includes the link. Very un-Apple.

Has has anyone else had this problem and is there a solution? This happens on both of my iOS devices, iPad and iPhone.

Thanks.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 5:04 AM

14 replies

Nov 11, 2014 11:53 AM in response to hacknfrack

I also have this problem across multiple applications includino Safari so I'm sure it's an OS fault rather than all these apps. It crashes everytime it switches from my iCloud account which is the default to my work Exchange account. As iOS learns which accounts you use to send emails this switch can be automatic when selecting a contact which crashes it instantly.

Surprised a bug this obvious hasn't been fixed yet.

Nov 19, 2014 5:50 AM in response to appllejoe

The one thing that has allowed me to regain some of this functionality is to go in the settings section within the app (not the Settings app) and literally just tap through the different screens within the section. No really repeatable method I can tell anyone. It has allowed me to be able to send mail from GoodReader and PDF Expert again.

As near as I can tell, this problem seems to be a security-related one involving an app trying to play in the Mail app's sandbox. Tapping through the settings appears to sometimes give the original app permission (again) to send mail.

I've had some success with this method on both the iPad and iPhone.

In-app e-mails crash in iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.