Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 Mail share sheet crash when changing From address

Since upgrading to iOS 8 I've experienced a repeated crash when I try to email content from a secondary (non-default) email account using share sheets. For instance:

• I'm in the NYTimes app and I hit the share button
  • I select Mail
  • a draft email comes up with the article that I want to share
  • I change the From address to a secondary email account set up in iOS 8 and the draft email crashes, kicking me back to the NYTimes app

This has happened every time I try to change the From address in the Mail share extension on iOS 8. I'm now running 8.1.1 and it's still happening. I even tried deleting the secondary email account and reinstalling it but I'm still getting the crash.

Is this happening to anyone else and is there a fix?

thanks!

Posted on Nov 24, 2014 10:02 AM

12 replies

Nov 24, 2014 10:04 AM in response to fitch29

Two suggestions:

• Try a reset: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps BEFORE doing the reset.
  • Delete and reinstall the NYT app

Dec 10, 2014 12:43 PM in response to Bsteidle

I've got 4 accounts. iCloud is the default but also an Exchange (Work), Outlook and Gmail. It crashes when I change to any of them from the default iCloud.

What also doesn't help is iOS is smart enough to switch accounts automatically depending on who you email so if I pick someone at work, it automatically changes to Exchange and crashes. So I cannot even email those people from my iCloud account via the share sheet.

I'm stuck having to copy everything and paste into the normal email application is quite a pain. I'm surprised more people aren't compaining about this or Apple isn't bothering to fix it quickly. I've even fully wiped my phone once and not restored the backup but it still doesn't work so it's clearly an OS bug. This worked fine on iOS 7.

Dec 10, 2014 3:41 PM in response to fitch29

I've just tried this and your right fitch29. That also solved it for me however I kind of need that feature also though maybe I'll use the feature where I can type a few characters and it'll type my work signature until Apple fixes this.

I can go a bit further on this. My iCloud had no signature, my Gmail and Hotmail had the default sent from iPhone as I never used them and my work Exchange account had my work signature. If I cleared the signature on my Gmail and Hotmail and left just my work signature I could switch between those accounts while on per account signature but when I picked my work one it crashed. So basically it'll crash the minute it tries to change the signature from the default one.

Aug 17, 2015 10:16 PM in response to evan212

I found this solution/workaround this afternoon in another Apple support page on the same subject:

In-app e-mails crash in iOS 8

Quit iOS Mail on all devices.

If you have some separate signatures for some (not all) of your separate email accounts set up in iOS Preferences / Mail, for the accounts that have NO signature, add few blank characters (spaces).

Do this on all iOS devices.

So far this is working for me on an iPad 3, iOS. 8.3 and iPhone 6, iOS. 8.4

YMMV.

iOS 8 Mail share sheet crash when changing From address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.