Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to access photos from my photo stream with iOS 8.1 through WhatsApp

Hi

After upgrading to iOS 8.1, I can't access any shared photos (My PhotoStream or pictures uploaded by other devices, Moments album) from What's app.

It keeps saying "WhatsApp does not have access to your photos or videos. To enable access go to: iPhone Settings > Privacy > Photos > WhatsApp."

Which is already enabled.

I tried restoring my phone but it didn't help.

Please help.

regards,

Deepak

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 11:19 AM

19 replies

Nov 9, 2014 2:36 AM in response to DPalkar

As far as i see that WhatsApp can't access photos, the 'photos' are supposed to be photos you've taken by your iPhone or saved on your iPhone. Photos in Photo Stream are actually not in your iPhone at all. They are in the cloud which you can see and shared, but being able to use in other apps. You can prove whether I'm right or not by taking a photo with your iPhone and opening WhatsApp to send or use it. If this time, you can use the photo you've taken in WhatsApp, it means I'm right. If so, you should save photos from Photo Stream to your iPhone to use in WhatsApp.

Nov 30, 2014 12:02 AM in response to selenafromshenzhen

Sorry selenafromshenzhen but you are wrong. Photostream actually uses iCloud but also does saves a local copy on the device and prior to IOS 8.1 upgrade, we were very well allowed to access the photostream album from any app (facebook, viber, whatsapp etc). Now when i checked, its allowing access only from apple's messages app and restricts all other apps from accessing the photostream album. This is a very annoying problem and hope apple fixes it soon.

Dec 7, 2014 10:28 AM in response to balajiraja85

Yes, balajiraja85 is right. All photos are first saved in the phone's memory and then send to iCloud, when allowed by the user. Otherwise, how could they be uploaded to the cloud in first place?

About the whatspp thing, I am having the same annoying problem. I've asked around and other people are experiencing it too, so maybe it's a "gift" from the new iOS 8.1 and there's nothing we could do. Even if there's an alternative solution by saving the desired photo into the camera roll, this can be quite annoying when you want to share a large amount of photos. For example, I went to Italy and there was 10 photos I needed to send to my friend, I had to save every each of them to my camera roll, which is completely non-sense since they are already located in the phone's memory! Classic case when technology makes your life harder with a simple thing.

Dec 9, 2014 3:27 PM in response to lumacj

im experiencing this strange problem:

whatsapp has access to my photo gallery but not to photo albums.... this means that if i need to attach a picture to some chat i need to find it among 1,746 pictures.... previously was much easier as i just had to look for in my albums....

i have iphone 5 updated to last ios version

anybody has some idea what happened? is maybe the ios 8,1,1?

tks alot!

andrea

Dec 11, 2014 5:09 AM in response to lumacj

Well done lumacj! This is a good workaround. Forgive me if I offer a simplified version here (this works if original photos are in Photo stream):

1. In "My photo stream", tap on select at top of screen

2. Tap on each photo you want to send via WhatsApp (circle with "√" shows for each photo)

3. Tap on square box with arrow at bottom of screen (Share) - NOT "Add To"

4. Tap on "Save image(s)"

5. Check that selected photos now appear on "Camera Roll"

6. From WhatsApp, send photos as you would have normally

Dec 11, 2014 7:50 AM in response to bcnreg

The problem is i have copied some photos from my PC to a folder(X) in iphone 4s and i need to share those via watsapp. so should i move those photos from "x" folder to "my photo stream" and then do the steps you mentioned? If so pl let me know how to move those to my photo stream.

I could see photos in my photo stream are same as camera roll.

Thxs

Jan 9, 2015 3:12 AM in response to DPalkar

Hey I've had same problem, it's to do with the last update but I found 2 solutions although I think apple should revert as it was easier and straight forward previously. One way to share any photos from your photo albums into whatsapp is open the desired photo and simply press the bottom left icon and when the options appear press 'copy' then just 'paste' it where you would normally write a message to anyone/groups. The other solution is open the desired photo to share and press the top right icon, 'edit' and then press 'Duplicate and Edit' then just cancel again (no need to edit that pic) the photo will simply be saved in your camera roll, hope this helps 😉

Feb 4, 2015 2:23 PM in response to DPalkar

i emailed whatsapp and this is what they sent me

Penelope (WhatsApp Support)

Feb 4, 12:10

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

Thank you for informing us about the issue; it will be fixed in a future version of WhatsApp. Unfortunately we cannot comment on any future timelines, sorry. Thank you for your continued patience and support of WhatsApp.

Cheers!

04-02-15

Mar 18, 2015 6:49 PM in response to rk999999999

I have the latest version of Whatsapp(updated on Feb 3rd 2015 as per App Store) installed in my iPhone. I can share the photo on whatsapp by going through Whatsapp -> chat. But I can not share photo from Photos Application of iOS. When I go into Photos->choose one photo -> Share(square button with Arrow), I see Viber, Mail, Facebook, iMessage. But Whatsapp is not there.

I think this issue still exist, and whatsapp team should fix it asap.

Thanks.

Pallav

Not able to access photos from my photo stream with iOS 8.1 through WhatsApp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.