Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Half Black screen in Safari iphone 6 ** This is not a reachability issue****

Hi Guys

Was surfing the net this morning and for some reason Safari has limited my view to half screen, the remaining is in black. This is nothing to do with reachability I can use this by tapping and not clicking the home screen, it works fine. I cannot seem to expand the screen or pull it down. It is also nothing to do with bookmarks on half the side of screen just in case that questions was posed. Any suggestions???

Thank you for your time.

Camzio

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 12:46 AM

21 replies

Nov 21, 2014 9:24 AM in response to Camzio1679

I am having the same problem, but with my E-Mail.

Its a huge pain in the butt to try to read the email using only half a screen.

How I fixed it:

Turned off Reachability ( explained above )

Did a hard reboot ( Hold On/Off button 2 sec, then simultaneously hold Home button for 2 more seconds )

When the phone rebooted, the problem seems to be fixed, must just be a bug/glitch in the new iOS.

Hopefully people will report it to Apple, as I would probably use the Reachability, but not if its going to screw with my email.

Jan 10, 2015 12:20 PM in response to Camzio1679

I am having the exact same problem with my iPhone 6 and Safari. Very frequently, when I turn the phone from the portrait orientation to the landscape orientation, the Safari screen goes to ½ size, with the top half of the screen black. Only ¼ (the top left quadrant) of the Safari screen is shown on the bottom half of the screen, although you can scroll within that space. Very irritating! Rebooting the phone gets rid of the problem, but it happens frequently, more than once a day.

Jan 10, 2015 12:21 PM in response to aressaress

aressaress wrote:

I am having the exact same problem with my iPhone 6 and Safari. Very frequently, when I turn the phone from the portrait orientation to the landscape orientation, the Safari screen goes to ½ size, with the top half of the screen black. Only ¼ (the top left quadrant) of the Safari screen is shown on the bottom half of the screen, although you can scroll within that space. Very irritating! Rebooting the phone gets rid of the problem, but it happens frequently, more than once a day.

Then you need to determine is it's a hardware issue, an iOS issue or a user data issue.

Basic Troubleshooting Steps when all else fails

- Quit the App by opening multi-tasking bar, and swiping the App upward to make it disappear. (For iOS 6 older, hold down the icon for the App for about 3-5 seconds, and then tap the red circle with the white minus sign.)

- Relaunch the App and try again.

- Restart the device. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

- Reset the device. (Same article as above.)

- Reset All Settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings)

- Restore from backup. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766 (If you don't have a backup, make one now, then skip to the next step.)

- Restore as new device. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137
For this step, do not re-download ANYTHING, and do not sign into your Apple ID.

- Test the issue after each step. If the last one does not resolve the issue, it is likely a hardware problem.

Feb 5, 2015 12:33 AM in response to Walidn

Walid, thank you for pointing out. I was able to replicate the instance of half screen blackout by double tapping (not clicking) the Home button. Any idea what is the functionality of the half screen? I doubt it is a bug, given it can be induced by a simple controlled process.

Thanks again for figuring it out!

Half Black screen in Safari iphone 6 ** This is not a reachability issue****

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.